Episode 73: Sleepy and Drained

I hummed as I carried a stack of papers

I hummed as I carried a stack of papers. Mr. Suzuran had asked me to print out some papers for him. Why there wasn't a printer in every classroom was anybody's guess.

"Ohh, skipping class too?" a voice called out. I quickly turned to my left. A smiling Burai waved at me.

"No. Mr. Suzuran sent me on an errand."

Burai snorted. "So the future Magus Maximus began as an errand boy. That's an interesting origin story right there."

I pouted. "And you're a skipper."

He shrugged. "I do well anyway."

I spun around. "Say, where is your friend?"

"Oh, he's a better boy than me." He rested his face on his hand and smirked. "Or so I would say if I didn't know he was only doing it for a girl."

Sounded like Kun.

"What about you? Is there anyone you like?"

My face blushed as I pictured Yuzu, Adela, and Nyima. "I... uh... What do you care?"

He laughed as I ran off. "Good luck!"

Was he saying that for class or with the girl I liked? Ugh! This was why I didn't want to focus on romance! It had already ruined things. Iah went bad because he liked Nyima, who liked me. Hmm, why had I pictured Nyima? Or Adela, for that matter? Ahh! Was Yen right? Was I really a three-timer?

I shook my head. No, that couldn't have been. I only had eyes for Yuzu!

My ears tingled. A rising and falling melody played from within one of the classrooms. I peered in and saw several people doing ballet. Among them were Huoyin, Lidia, Carter, and Kanja.

I smiled. Carter spun around with Kanja and a girl I didn't know. 

"So that guy dances. That's unexpected," I said, chuckling. Likewise with Huoyin. He looked like the bookworm type but was quite nimble. Every movement looked practiced. On the other hand, Carter's style appeared more improvised, a departure from his martial arts.

"Ahem," a voice called out.

I gulped and saw Yuzuki. She looked like she was trying to hold back a laugh while putting on her serious face.

"Shouldn't you be in class right now?"

I nodded. "Errand for Mr. Suzuran."

"Hmm? Why do you sound like little Sei?"

My face reddened. "No reason. Well, see ya! Got to get these to class!"

I sighed as soon as I got inside my classroom.

"Is something the matter, Lei?" Mr. Suzuran asked, furrowing his brow.

I smiled. "It's nothing. Here are the papers."