Special: Gift for Mother

[Years Ago]

[Years Ago]

"Are you ready, Sis?" I asked, moving my arms up and down.

My big sister chuckled and patted my head. "Yeah, let's do this!"

"Yahoo!" I dashed away to the long wooden-floored hall.

"Hey, Carter!" my sister yelled, chasing after me. Her voice grew more distant as I zipped across our maze of a house. My feet screeched against the floor as I came to a sudden stop. I smiled at the door with the star sticker. I'd put it on there for Mommy and Daddy! I had gotten it in school for being a good boy!

I glanced around and ran into my parents' bedroom. Papa was still snoozing away while the other side of the bed was empty. Mama must've gone to help the cooks make me my Cart-fuel. But that was fine. Papa was the one that I was looking for.

"Papa!" I yelled, leaping on top of him.

"Augh, what hit me?" he said, opening his eyes.

I giggled. "A Carteor!"

He smiled and ruffled my hair. "Well, at least this one wasn't on fire."

I giggled and jumped off of him.

"Sorry, Dad. He slipped away from me," Sis said, entering the room.

"It's fine." He rose from his bed and scratch his long, messy black hair. "It's my fault for having overslept."

I snickered. "Papa's a sleepy lion!"

He crossed his arms and scoffed. "Well, male lions do sleep a lot. I'll be out in a bit."

I nodded and dashed out of the room.

My sister sighed as she followed me out. She watched me as I sat down by the door.

"You sure love running huh?"

I grinned. "Yeah, it helps me burn up my energy." I jumped back to my feet and started to jog in place.

My sister snickered and put her chin on her hand as she sat down. "Mind sharing some with your big sis?"

I turned to face her. "Are you feeling sleepy like Papa?"

She yawn into her hand. "A little, but it should pass by the time we're in the market."

I smiled. Hopefully, we could buy Mommy's gift before lunch was ready.

The door slid open. "Let's go!" Papa said in his best sergeant voice.

I saluted him and followed after him like I'd seen our guards do. Sis giggled as she followed behind me.

Once we were outside, we were greeted by a carriage driver. We hopped on and rode out of the palace into the village surrounding it.

"Woah!" I said as I saw some people riding on donkeys. "Papa, can I ride one too?"