Episode 35: Electrifying Battle

"Arima!" I yelled as she climbed the stairs leading to our seats

"Arima!" I yelled as she climbed the stairs leading to our seats. Her eyes were watery.

Aban grabbed her and brought her in for a hug.

"W-what are you doing?" Arima snapped, trying to push him away.

Aban snickered and he clung to her. "Consoling you, dummy."

Arima's hands trembled. "I don't need consoling, especially in front of everyone. This was my fault for underestimating my opponent. I should've trained more during winter vacation."

"It's not like you're weak," I said, getting closer. "Vermeil simply had a way to neutralize everything you threw at her."

She glanced at me. "I should've been able to counter those counters."

I gave her a thin smile. "You did your best despite what you were against. That said, it's not the end of the world. Nor would I say that you became the weakest of our class."

She wiped away her tears. "You're right. I shouldn't cry after one loss." She slapped herself. "How can I become a nurse if I can't withstand loss."

Aban laughed nervously. "In that field, you would want to do your best to avoid losing."

Arima narrowed her eyes at him. "Not funny."

He grumbled. "No one said it was."

"Wonder if Vermeil has ways to counter the rest of us," I said, watching as she walked toward us. She had a giant smile on her face.

"I hope so," Hal said as he popped beside us. "Would be lame if she spent all of her time only thinking of counters for one enemy. Arima might be last year's champ, and Iah might be gone, but Nyima is still around. She nearly took down Iah."

"Why do people keep popping out of nowhere?" Aban snapped, pointing at Hal.

"Oh, Hal! You've made it!" Vermeil said, waving.

Hal waved back. "Yeah, arrived to see the conclusion of your match."

"T-that was great strategy you used, Vermeil," a blonde boy said as he poked his out. He appeared to be holding on to Hal's shoulders.

"Jude!" Vermeil said. She rushed over and snuggled him. "It means a lot to hear that from you, little guy!"

"L-let go of me," Jude mumbled as he drowned in Vermeil's bosom.

"Lucky kid," Aban mumbled.  A couple of onlookers nodded. Maybe Arima was right and we shouldn't have been having this talk in such an open place.

Arima grumbled and karate chopped our childhood friend's head.

"Hey! What was that for?" Aban asked, turning to look at the angry Arima.

Arima scoffed. "You know, pervert."

I chuckled. "You really can be an idiot at times, Aban."

Vermeil laughed as she let go of Jude. Her eyes shifted over to Hal. "Is An here too?"