Episode 24: Enigma of the Raging Flames

I rubbed my head

I rubbed my head. What happened? The last thing I remembered was fighting Nate. That's right, I lost—wonder who won the other two matches. Jude was a good kid, but I hoped that Carter won. Likewise for Mira. Though, unlike Jude, I still knew close to nothing about Tamara.

I rose to my feet and tripped. If I hadn't caught myself using the rim of the bed, I would've hit the ground. Not that it would've been awful. The carpet here was super soft.

My lips curled into a smile. If I were still a thief, I would've had a field day with this place. Though, I would've needed to come up with an escape plan first.

I rubbed my knees and stood to my full height while cautiously holding on to the bed's frame for support.

Tamara passed by me in the hall with a plateful of orange and apple slices. The enigmatic girl moved her head around as if to the rhythm of music, though she lacked any visible headphones. If she wasn't mute, she probably would've hummed a tune.

"Hey, Tamara. Where are you going?" I asked.

She turned around and waved as soon as she heard me.

"Taking a snack to your room?" I asked.

She shook her head and pointed at the room next door. It was hers and Ling's. But, if the fruit wasn't for herself, then it had to be for Ling.

"Taking them to Ling?"

Tamara beamed and nodded. Her eyes widened. With a smile, she held the plate out to me.

"You're offering me one?" I asked, pointing to my chest.

She held out two fingers.

I chuckled. "Alright. I'll take two." I grabbed one of each and popped them into my mouth. The apple was sweet and crispy, just like I liked it. While the orange was also sweet with a hint of sour. "So good!"

Tamara covered her big grin and moved her plate closer to me.

"Thanks, but is it alright if I take more? They're for Ling."

She nodded, moved her hand to her cheek, and closed her eyes. I felt like a kid again, playing charades with my mom. If only she and Dad were still around.

"Ling's still sleeping?"

She shook her head. Her fingers contracted and spread out.

I scratched my head. Did she mean to expand something? Wait, could it be... "Is it to make her feel better?"

Tamara nodded and pointed at me.

"Me too?" I smiled. Well, it did perk me up a little. Almost made me forget my embarrassing defeat at the hands of Nate.

She glanced at my room.

"What's wrong? Looking for Mira? She wasn't there when I woke up."

Tamara furrowed her brow. Was she worried about Mira?