Episode 13: Analyzing The Competition

I smiled at the result of the battle between the boy I had landed on and his silver-haired friend

I smiled at the result of the battle between the boy I had landed on and his silver-haired friend. Carter had potential if only he could get over his debilitating shyness around girls.

My phone snapped me out of my thoughts as it buzzed. I pulled it out of my purse and saw that it was my brother.

I sighed. Why was he so worried about me?

"Hello, Renshu?" I asked.

"Ling, did you make it on the ship yet?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes. I told you a few minutes ago that I was about to do that."

"Sorry, I'm just worried about you. There are mean people out there."

I gripped the phone tightly. "I know. If I meet such people, I'll face them head-on. Not run away like someone I know." I wasn't going to let myself be treated the way he was during his first year in Nine Petal. The powerlessness in his eyes after he returned from school was heart-wrenching. Worse still was how he kept quiet.

***

[A Year and a quarter ago]

"Brother, you're back!" I yelled, running down the stairs. I gasped as soon as I saw him. The shine in his eyes was gone. Had something happened at his school that he hadn't told me about? He always sounded happy on the phone, so I assumed he was doing great.

"Hey," he said, smiling slightly. He waved at me.

I smiled back. "Tired?"

He nodded. "Yeah. I am."

"Want me to get you some water? Maybe some dumplings? Dad made some yesterday."

Renshu shook his head. "No. I already drank a lot of water on the way here. Not hungry either." He walked past me, continuing on his way. His posture had changed. Brother used to stick his chest out like a proud penguin, but now he walked hunched. He wouldn't even look me in the eyes.

"Renshu," I said, spinning around.

"Yeah?"

"Did something happen that you aren't telling me about?"

He laughed hesitantly. "Why do you think that?"

"You look sad. I know that I'm younger than you, but I'm your sister. It's my duty to care for my brother."

He turned away. "I don't need you to take care of me," Renshu mumbled.

I gritted my teeth. "Fine, I won't ask anymore! It's clear that you're hiding something!" I turned around and stomped away. Why couldn't he tell me? He used to tell me everything before. Were we no longer close?

***

['Present']

"Sis?" Renshu asked. "Are you alright? You went silent there."