⤷ 07| THE MISSION

chapter seven : the mission

☆ ☆ ☆

"Have you heard?"

June looked up from her book at Cedric's words. The three of them had been studying together. "What?"

"There have been another couple of Dementor attacks," he said. "And they've found Igor Karkaroff's body in a shack up north. The Dark Mark had been set over it—well, frankly, I'm surprised he stayed alive for even a year after deserting the Death Eaters."

"Did you hear about Florean Fortescue?" Alaska added. "That's man who ran—"

"—the ice-cream place in Diagon Alley?" June continued. "What happened to him?"

"Dragged off, by the look of his place."

"Why?" Cedric asked.

"Who knows?" Alaska said, shrugging. "He must've upset them somehow. He was a good man, Florean."

"Talking about Diagon Alley," June said, frowning, "looks like Ollivander's gone too."

"The wand-maker?" Alaska said, looking startled.

"That's the one," June said, looking grimly. "Shop's empty. No sign of struggle. No one knows whether he left voluntarily or was kidnapped."

"But wands—what'll people do for wands?"

"They'll make do with other makers," June said. "But Ollivander was the best, and if the other side have got him it's not so good for us."

A silence fell over the small group as they shared an alarmed look. Voldemort had not quietly sit down these past few weeks.

"Blake! Black! Diggory!" the voice of Proudfoot said, and the three of them jumped up right before the man himself walked in. "Good, you're all here. We're assigned a mission, kids."

June, Alaska and Cedric exchanged excited glances. They had yet to go on a mission. These past few weeks they've been training, trying to get to the level of skill the Aurors possessed, and all of them had improved significantly.

They followed him to the Conference Room and June saw that Kendra Blake was waiting for them together with Nymphadora, Dawlish and Savage.

"Good, you're here," Kendra said, as her blue eyes swept over the small group. "Have a seat."

Silently, the three of them obeyed and looked up at her in expectancy, curiosity and excitement.

"You three will accompany Tonks, Dawlish, Savage and Proudfoot to Hogwarts. You'll be the extra security due to Voldemort's return."

Like, June, Kendra did not fear saying his name.

"Dumbledore allowed us to stay in in the castle, so that we're close by when trouble arises."