❄️ 19

"F/N, my child, you have proven your worth of being a pillar, therefore, I appoint you as the new Ice Hashira of the corps," Kagaya said. "I know that you are young, that's why I want the other pillars to give their best at guiding you and instructing you on what should you do."

"We will, Oyakata-sama," they all said in chorus.

"I am looking forward for your help, Soyama F/N," he added.

"I will give my best, Oyakata-sama," you said while bowing down.

"By the way, Oyakata-sama," Sanemi spoke. "Why is a non-pillar swordsman here? What happened to the flame pillar Rengoku Shinjurou-dono?" He asked while looking at the swordsman in the most right with yellow messy hair with red on its tips.

Everyone was also looking at him, waitin for his answer. "Father is—"

Yet Sanemi cut him off. "Are you really fit to be a pillar stand-in?"

You tug his uniform a bit. "Sanemi-san, don't," you whispered.

The swordsman who you think is the Flame Pillar's son, looked tense but smiled anyways that made you tilt yor head.

"Sanemi, dont pick on him too much," the master said. "I called Kyojurou-san over so he can explain what happened."

"You should calm down, you know?" You keep on whispering only to receive a click of his tongue.

"You must be all worried about Shinjurou. Can you tell us how he's doing in his home?" the master asked softly.

Kyojurou became silent for a while before answering. "I have no positive proof for this...But since my mother, Ruka passed away, Shinjurou has lost all his will to fight. He has started drinking while on duty, and he currently shut himself in his room. He also can no longer abstain from alcohol prior missions."

You never met the Flame Hashira but you felt bad for him. Losing someone you love isn't really easy to cope with. At some point, you understand him, but you can't help but to think that he should've told everyone about it and resigned instead of leaving his missions so sudden while everyone's waiting for him.

"Oh what a pity," Gyomei said while his palms are together. "Shinjurou-dono has served the pillars for a long time... but we're all in a position where we must stand together."

"He's also setting a bad example for our fighters, it's plainly affecting our morale. Especially now we have a younger one; Soyama, do not immitate," Tengen said.

"I...won't," you said.

"I suggest a flamboyant retirement!" Tengen added.

"Even with F/N as a new one, we still don't have enough pillars. But a drunkard won't be of use to Oyakata-sama either, so what do we do?" Sanemi said. His words will always be harsh. You shifted your gaze back to Kyojurou and wanted to apologize for hearing such words that are meant for his father.

But instead, you flinched in surprise when he beamed. "That won't be an issue! If I became the Flame Pillar, then I'm sure my father will regain his motivation!"

You smiled a little in relief that he's not affected by Sanemi and Tengen's words but of course, the Wind Pillar will always break it for you.

Tengen laughed sarcastically as if he's underestimating Kyojurou while Sanemi turned to him with his murderous looks.

"Whoa...Rengoku Kyojurou," Sanemi muttered. "You sure have a lot of confidence."