30

Louis' pov:

With the sun setting into a burning orange I climbed into my white mercedes. I felt little to no pity leaving my father to fight the attackers alone. I found myself giddy from it. Finally, I wasn't being used by my father in some sort of way. I hate how I've always been some sort of beneficial to him.

I buckled myself in, turning the luxurious car on with a roar. Nathan beamed at the sound, staring over my leather interior. I thought it was ridiculous, the whole car thing. I didn't care about what kind of car I had as long as it was able to drive me around. I glanced over my shoulder as I backed out, letting the struggles of Helena disappear behind me.

As my steering wheel clicked back into place I turned up the music. It was some random radio station I didn't recognize but either way it was background noise. I tapped my fingers against the steering wheel as forest trees whizzed past us. I was yet used to how fast my car could go. I'm sure once we get in town I would have to learn pretty quickly. I was driving with no drivers license after all.

"I know it's not a happy topic but I'm still confused with the thing that just happened. Weren't you being attacked? But somehow you're still alive," Nathan mentioned. He turned in his seat so he was looking more at me. I stopped tapping my fingers, wrapping my hand around the steering wheel.

"Yeah. But the guy was more of playing with me while doing it so he never really got the chance to kill me."

"He had the chance to just slit your throat in the dark, but didn't?"

I bite the inside of my cheek, replaying what had happened to me through my head. It was a strange course of events. It still confuses me. The things he had whispered as he threw me about.

"He said I was a good dancer," I muttered. I turned, the dirt road changing to black pavement.

Nathan moves abruptly beside me, too quick for me to catch him. I raise a brow giving him a quick glance. He seemed to have looked angered, but when I saw his face his eyebrows were pulled together as he stared at the middle console.

"You okay?"

He nods, shaking his head. His eyes meet mine, a small smile appearing on his face. I glance back to the road deciding to shrug it off. Maybe the whole thing was just too confusing for him.

"What about you," I asked. "Did anyone attack you?"

"No, actually. I was nervously waiting for it once you disappeared but no one ever came. Maybe they were too distracted with everyone else."

I hum. The distant flicker of Southampton lights slowly come into view. It was only an half an hour drive from Salisbury; not including the distance from the secluded area we lived in. Either way, it was a short drive. Even shorter when you're caught up talking.

"You're lucky then," I smiled, turning off the radio.

"Sure. I still don't understand why you're not dead." I gaze at Nathan out of the corner of my eye. He sat causally in his seat.

"Do you want me dead," I asked. Nathan shot forward shaking his head widely with wide eyes.

"No! Of course not! It's just weird that you seem to survive everything!" I laugh silently to myself.

"That's a little defensive of you. Maybe I should watch my back," I teased. Nathan groans, throwing his head back.

"I'm not trying to kill you or anything. It's just a mystery to me how you seem to live through everything. Like how I said before."

I shrug a shoulder. "I'm the main character in a story I guess." Nathan snorts.

"Sure. Then what am I? Your awesome sidekick?" I laugh bubbly.