第19章 - It May Be the Last

お父ちゃん(otouchan): father

honkaku: refers to the crafting of fiendishly clever and complex puzzle scenarios (i.e. locked room murders) that can only be solved through logical deduction

Megumi's green eyes scanned the neatly printed black words on the crisp, white pages of his book

Megumi's green eyes scanned the neatly printed black words on the crisp, white pages of his book. This would be his fifth time reading it. The book, The Honjin Murders by Yokomizo Seishi, was about a locked room murder mystery in which a young, wealthy couple was murdered on their wedding night with nothing left behind but a handprint and a blood katana. Hiyori, ever the honkaku and mystery fan, had recommended it to him a while ago and let him borrow it from her library. She thought he would like it and she was right. It was a pretty good book.

Speaking of Hiyori, Megumi snuck a peek at her to see what she was doing. Since getting into the car, she had only exchanged a few words with him before going on her phone. She hasn't even mentioned the book at all yet. He didn't know what she was doing but her focused stare was enough indication that she shouldn't be bothered. Ijichi seemed to realize too since he hadn't even done any mission debriefing yet. Then again, they were still quite a journey away from the village the mission was taking place in.

"Ijichi-san, could you look into a couple of things for me? I sent you an email about the details" Hiyori said suddenly, interrupting the silence in the car, without looking up from her phone. In this information-saturated modern world, people like Ijichi were highly valued, perhaps even more so than those with great physical prowess, because he has the ability to find a way to search for something as long as he knew what to look for. He was one of Tokyo Jujutsu Technical School's most valuable resources...well that was what Hiyori believed anyway.

"O-Of course, Gojo-san. I'll get to it immediately" Ijichi replied as if he even really had the option to say no to begin with. No one could really say no to the Gojo Hiyori just like how no one could really say no to any requests made by her adoptive father. The Gojos got what they wanted whether it was by pure intimidation from their strength alone or by other means like money - something the Gojos had plenty of.

"Thank you" Hiyori slid her phone back into her pocket and turned to look at Megumi. "Speaking of which...how's the book, Megumi?" Megumi's eyes widened slightly. He didn't expect her to bring it up. He slowly closed the book and set it down on his lap.

"It's good..."

"I'm glad. What did you think abo-" Before Hiyori could finish her question, Tsuki appeared on her shoulder. The familiar blinked her pale yellow eyes a couple of times to adjust to the light.

"So about the—huh? Where are we?" Tsuki said, looking around in confusion. She expected Hiyori to be back on the school campus not in a car with Ijichi and Megumi. "We're on a mission involving a cursed human named Hashibira Ino."

"Another cursed human?" Tsuki's question earned a quizzical look from Megumi. 'What does she mean by another...?' Hiyori nodded. "Except this one should be a semi-first grade at most."