第14章 - Fault

Yuta buttoned the gold buttons of his white uniform jacket and patted his spiky hair down in an attempt to get rid of his unruly bedhead

Yuta buttoned the gold buttons of his white uniform jacket and patted his spiky hair down in an attempt to get rid of his unruly bedhead. He sighed when it bounced back. He reached up to twiddle a strand hanging just slightly above his eyebrows that kept sticking out. 'Maybe I should grow it out...'

He grabbed the black sword bag Hiyori had given him to carry his katana with and headed out his door. He bounded down the old, wooden dormitory stairs. Yuta was happy this morning and it definitely didn't have to do with a certain white-haired girl. His lips curved up in a dopey smile at the fond memory of her smile from yesterday.

He knew he was contradicting his own belief that he shouldn't pursue Hiyori because she deserved so much better than him but he couldn't help himself. 'You don't deserve to love Hiyori. Not after what happened with Rika. Not after you hurt people. You promised Rika you would be with her forever. You promised her and now she's a curse because of you. You don't deserve Hiyori. She's happy without you. She probably doesn't even see you in that way. ' The negative words that the little voice in the back of his head - an embodiment of his anxiety, guilt, pessimism, obligation, and everything bitter - whispered were tuned out the moment Hiyori smiled at him. Yuta wanted to be happy. He really wanted to be happy and Hiyori made him happy. He wasn't going to pursue her because of that chain of guilt and obligation that tied him to Rika but that didn't mean he couldn't be around her.

That's what he told himself anyway.

Yuta walked with a bounce in his step as he turned the corner to where the dormitory kitchen was. He couldn't wait to see Hiyori and her bright smile that made everything around him more colorful and brighter. Some could say she was a literal ray of sunshine. He wondered what she made for breakfast since she always made breakfast for everyone on Friday. He hoped it was her chocolate croissants or maybe her breakfast crepes with her homemade strawberry jam topped with strawberries and blueberries. Hiyori spoiled all of the first years rotten with her exceptional cooking skills.

Yuta could attest to this considering how his cheeks were fuller and his clothes didn't hang off of his body awkwardly anymore. He definitely looked a lot healthier and happier compared to when he first started attending Jujutsu Tech. That was all thanks to his friends. Hiyori had made it her personal goal to make sure Yuta was healthy by feeding him all the glorious food she made. Sometimes she even made sweets just for him. He loved how Hiyori showered him with care and tasty treats but he was starting to get a bit of a soft tummy, from eating all the food Hiyori made, even with Maki's intense training regime that she made him undergo.

Hiyori baked and cooked a lot in general. She liked to experiment with new recipes and the first years were her extremely willing guinea pigs. There was almost always some sort of sweet in the kitchen. Yuta still remembered that time Maki attacked Panda after finding out he had eaten the last pudding cup. Hiyori had just chuckled lightly and coaxed Maki to let the cursed puppet go with a promise to make Maki a Baumkuchen cake.