第21章 - Flowers and Lost Loves

百合 (yuri) : lily

美味しい(oishi) : delicious

Yuta hummed while walking down the busy Tokyo streets

Yuta hummed while walking down the busy Tokyo streets. It was the soft tune that Hiyori always hummed. He wasn't sure what song it was but she hummed it so much that it got stuck in his head. His lips curved up in a small smile when his eyes landed on the familiar flower shop in front of him. The front was lined with various flowers from roses to tulips but none of them were the flowers he had come looking for. He opened the door and walked into the small, quaint shop.

"Good morning, Okkotsu-kun!" The shop owner, a middle-aged woman with greying hair tied up in a bun, Sugimoto Ayuri, greeted with a warm smile. She was a sweet woman who ran the shop with the help of her son who was around Yuta's age.

"Good morning, Sugimoto-san" Yuta greeted.

"Let me guess, same as usual?" Sugimoto asked with a knowing smile. She was already reaching for the blue wrapping paper that Yuta always requested. Yuta smiled bashfully and nodded. He felt kind of embarrassed that she knew his exact order. That was just how often he came to this shop. It was the shop where he bought her that lily so long ago so it only felt right to keep coming back here.

"Alright, one single Casablanca Lily for Okkotsu Yuta-kun." Sugimoto said, holding out the white flower that was neatly wrapped in dark blue wrapping paper and tied with a silky purple ribbon for Yuta to take. Yuta gently took the flower like it would break if he held it wrong. He didn't want it to fall limp like the first flower he had ever purchased from this store.

"Thank you"

"If you don't mind me asking, why come by every morning to buy one single funeral flower?" Sugimoto's son, Kakeru, questioned while ringing up Yuta's purchase. It was such a strange flower to purchase especially considering that the dark-haired boy only ever purchased one rather than a bouquet. Yuta rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Someone I know really likes them. They're her favorite flowers" He replied while handing Kakeru the money for the flower. It was a good thing he received a stipend from the school or else he would definitely not have enough money to eat at this point. Buying a single lily every day added up to quite a hefty dent in his wallet.

Whatever, it was worth it.

Yuta couldn't help the small smile that formed on his face at the thought of Hiyori's reaction to the lily in his hand. Even though he had been getting her one every day since she got put into the infirmary again, she was still always so happy when he surprised her with another lily to add to the ever-growing vase of them on her bedside table.

"Must be a lucky girl" Sugimoto commented slyly. Yuta blushed.

'How did she know...'

"U-Uh it's not like that" His stutter and obviously flustered attitude only made Sugimoto raise an eyebrow in amusement. Yuta already knew his cheeks were hot from embarrassment.