第31章 - Mine

Gomenasai ( ごめんなさい ): sorry

"You were the one who wrote the letter?" Hiyori gasped

"You were the one who wrote the letter?" Hiyori gasped. Yuta nodded slowly, fiddling with his bracelet. His cheeks flushed pink in embarrassment over the confession he'd just made. He figured it would be better to just tell her that letter was from him to clear up the misunderstanding. Originally, he planned to bring this embarrassing secret, that only Toge was aware of, to the grave but he could tell the letter was stressing her out.

Hiyori blinked in shock, trying to register what Yuta had just told her. She had no idea that he was the one who wrote the letter. The letter that she had mistaken for a death threat.

She looked down at the sleeves of Yuta's black jacket that he gave her to keep her warm against the chilly night air. His jacket was a bit too big on her and only the tips of her fingers poked out from the large sleeves. She smiled and wrapped her arm around his.

So he wrote her a love letter - a poor attempt at a love letter but a love letter nonetheless. 'You're just making me fall more and more in love with you by the day, Okkotsu Yuta...'

A quiet laugh escaped her lips as she leaned her head on his shoulder. His presence was so warm and comforting like she was basking in the sun's glow. A sun who wrote really bad love letters.

Yuta stiffened slightly in surprise before he relaxed and leaned his cheek against the top of her head. His heart was about to jump out of his rib cage from how happy he was right now.

Hiyori kicked her feet, which were still dangling from the gabled roof of the dormitory building, in the air while humming a soft happy tune. She didn't know how long they had stayed up here talking but she didn't care. She was too lost in the moment - too lost being with him - to care.

Yuta stared down at her with the softest look on his face, dark blue eyes shining with pure love and adoration. He didn't know how he got so lucky.

All his life had been one misfortune after the next that the idea something good was finally happening in his life was hard to fathom. Had someone told him two years ago that something like this was possible, he would've laughed hollowly over being asked such a cruel question.

But now, here he was, beside someone, he loved, who cared and loved him wholeheartedly not despite who he was but because of who he was. He had an amazing close-knit group of friends who he'd do anything for that helped him find a reason to live and made him feel like he deserved to live. He was truly and profoundly happy.

Yuta, after so many years, was finally happy to be alive.

"It's cute that you put a lot of effort into it though I think you need to work on your writing, Yuta" Hiyori said. Yuta groaned, having hoped that she wouldn't talk more about the letter. That letter really was going to be one of the most embarrassing moments of his life. At least Hiyori seemed to find humor in it based on the quiet chuckle that escaped her lips.