第31.5章 - The Flower Shop

Running a hand through his freshly bleached hair, Kakeru busied himself with restocking the box next to the cash register with mini guide pamphlets about the basics of flower care

Running a hand through his freshly bleached hair, Kakeru busied himself with restocking the box next to the cash register with mini guide pamphlets about the basics of flower care. For a dollar a pamphlet, the little guides were bought with almost every flower purchase that his mother sold in her little hole-in-the-wall flower shop passed down by Kakeru's grandfather. They weren't the flashiest, most luxurious flower shop in Tokyo but the shop was nice and homey with a healthy stream of regular customers.

Speaking of regular customers, one of them was the raven-haired boy that just walked into the shop. Kakeru didn't know much about him but he came once in a while to buy flowers. Well, not really flowers, the raven-haired boy always bought the same thing every time by now it was routine for Kakeru's mother to immediately go fetch the Casablanca Lily the boy always came to buy. At one point, back in December, he came every day but now it wasn't as frequent...probably cause it wasn't a good financial decision for a high school boy, well Kakeru assumed he was in high school based on his appearance, to buy flowers so much.

"Yo, Katsu-kun, who's that?" Kakeru rolled his eyes at the nickname his friend had given him because of his love for katsu curry. His brown eyes shifted to look at his long-time friend, Mika, who was currently attempting to inconspicuously stare at the awkward teenager who entered the flower shop.

"His name's Okkotsu Yuta. He comes by once in a while to buy flowers" Kakeru replied.

"Man, that guy looks like he hasn't slept in ages. His eye bags are like MEGA dark!" Mika pointed out. Kakeru sweat-dropped but he couldn't help agreeing with his friend's statement. Though, compared to the first time Kakeru met the raven-haired boy, his eyebags were a lot lighter now. Back then, his eyebags were really dark and his shoulders sagged so much that Kakeru had thought the other male was shorter than him which Kakeru now realized was not true at all.

"He gives super duper socially awkward beanpole vibes." Mika commented. Kakeru raised an eyebrow in confusion.

'Beanpole vibes...?' Kakeru turned to look back at Yuta who was currently looking around the store nervously. 'I guess...he is kind of built like a stick. At least it's not as bad as before. He's gained some healthy weight now. Back then, he looked like he could be blown away by the wind...'

"Okkotsu-kun, back again?" Sugimoto Sayuri, Kakeru's mother, asked, already fetching the shiny dark blue wrapping paper she usually used to wrap Yuta's purchases - always a single Casablanca Lily. Sugimoto gestured for Kakeru to go fetch a lily and he was about to do so until...

"Oh..actually...I'd like a bouquet this time" Yuta said sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. He flashed the mother-son duo a small, awkward smile. Sugimoto and Kakeru exchanged looks of surprise before a knowing smile tugged on the florist's lips.

"My~ Could it be you're finally making a move?" Yuta stiffened and a faint pink blush crept up his cheeks. Sugimoto chuckled. "Kidding, kidding, you're too easy to tease, Okkotsu-kun."