第46章 - Nobara's Idol

A/N: The flashback segment in this chapter is a continuation of the flashback from Chapter 6 "Best Friends" of Hiyori and Maki's first mission together.

"This looks tasty" Megumi looked up to see what Hiyori was talking about. It was an herbal drink that looked like something you would find in an Eastern medicine store. In other words, it looked like an old people drink.

"Kugisaki tried it last time and said it tasted like old man feet."

Hiyori whipped her head around to look at Megumi. "Why does Nobara-chan know what feet taste like?"

"I don't know." Megumi covered his mouth with the back of his hand to hide his amused smile when Hiyori furrowed her brows in confusion.

"You're not getting your usual Oi Ocha today?" Megumi asked, eyeing the green drink that only Hiyori ever purchased. He was pretty sure she was the only reason why they even still sold that in the school vending machines. Everyone else usually opted for something caffeinated or water.

Hiyori shook her head. "I think I'm going to try to get something different today. Last time I had pink lemonade and it was really sour." Hiyori wrinkled her nose and shivered at the thought of the can of pink lemonade she got before she went to meet Yuji. It really was sour.

"Pfft–" Megumi tried to keep a monotone expression but he was shaking from holding in his laughter.

Hiyori paused and turned to look at Megumi. "Megumi, are you laughing at me?"

Megumi cleared his throat and averted his eyes. "No."

Hiyori narrowed her eyes and leaned in closer so she could look at him better. Megumi continued to look the other way but he could still feel her intense stare. He pulled up the collar of his uniform jacket with one hand and coughed awkwardly.

Finally, Hiyori turned away. She went back to examining the various drinks that the vending machine offered. "Alright, if you say so."

Megumi silently let out a breath of relief. He turned back to see Hiyori finally slip her money into the vending machine. "I think I'll get the ginger drink you usually get."

"Didn't you say it tasted bad last time you tried it?" Megumi asked, going to the other identical vending machine to buy everyone else's drinks.

"Yea, but that was two years ago, my tastes have changed now." Hiyori replied, pressing the bright green button that would dispense Megumi's favorite ginger drink. The small bottle rolled out and she picked it up. Megumi watched her untwist the cap and take a sip of drink.

She immediately screwed the cap back on.

"Nevermind" She said blankly. Mistakes were made. "I don't know how you can stomach this. It's so bitter and the ginger taste was so strong."

"It's an acquired taste." Megumi took the ginger drink from her and handed her a familiar green bottle. Hiyyori's eyes widened slightly at the sight of her go-to bottle of green tea. She looked up at Megumi who awkwardly averted his eyes.