25. Burning

"We do it the hard way" The man said.

He lit both his arms up and started running towards you.

You quickly activated your quirk, causing his flames to go out for a short moment.

"These flames feel hotter than any ones I've worked with before." You said as you stretched your right arm out towards him. "Cool"

After a few short seconds, Dabi was able to relight his arms.

"Be careful" He said with a smirk. "The hotter the flames, the worse the burn."

What does that mean?

You brushed it off and lit your right arm up, sending blue flames shooting out towards Dabi. But you had to stop quickly.

You grit your teeth and dropped your arm to your side.

"What?!" You shouted. "You're not- you're not flame resistant or anything?"

You glanced at your arm, it was definitely raw, the smell of burning flesh filling your nostrils. And that was after just a few short second of using it.

Dabi grinned. "Nope! If you want to be resistant to it you're gonna have to do what I did!"

He held his arms up and wiggled his fingers. "Burn off the nerve endings in your arms and hands! That way, you won't feel the burn as much!"

You winced as you lightly touched your arm. "Is that why you look like an overcooked piece of bacon?"

"Funny" He said as he walked closer to you. "Very funny. I hope you can see by now that you can't win this fight."

"That doesn't mean I'm gonna go with you!" You shouted as you raised your arm again.

You shot out more flames at him, wincing at the pain in your arm and your skin blistered and burned within seconds. At some point you screamed at the pain, trying to fight through it, but your body was telling you to stop.

Just use it for a few seconds, then rest and repeat.

You stopped your attack, panting as you hoped it was enough to at least by you some time.

"Didn't I say that I can't really feel pain?" Dabi asked. "Blasting me with my own quirk isn't gonna work, I go through this everyday on my own. My body isn't suited for my quirk, that's why I ruined it. But you're not gonna be able to ruin yours in time."

It shouldn't have surprised you that your attack barely affected him. But it did surprise you when he jumped on you, pinning you to the ground.

You instinctively lit your torso up to try and get him off you, but instead you squeezed your eyes shut once the pain became too much.

"It was a bad matchup for you, doll." Dabi said as he reached over your head and grabbed something from the ground. "That's why it was part of the plan. Goodnight."

Goodnight?

You eyes widened when the hand that reached over you came back into view, he was holding a rock.

Well fuck me.

He brought the rock down against the side of your head and you instantly went out.

-

You were sitting on your couch with Shoto. Both of you had your eyes glued to the tv as you watched the reporter ask your mom questions about the villain she just captured.

You were both five. Shoto's mother had been put in the hospital a few months ago, he wasn't allowed to visit her, so he would spend his time with you whenever he could. You were his safe place.