Chapter 27

"Am I looking decent?" Ardeth asked Sherlyn as he met her infront of Marcie's home on Thanksgiving day.

"You look great, don't worry." Sherlyn said smoothening his checkered shirt.

"Your family will be there, and not to forget your father, I already made a not so good first impression on him as your boyfriend, I don't want to risk my second impression." Ardeth explained.

"Take a breathe. They will love you." Sherlyn assured.

"I hope so too." Ardeth let out a nervous smile, "You look cute by the way." He kissed her nose making her giggle.

"Let's go inside." Sherlyn said linking her fingers with Ardeth.

"Let's go." Ardeth said taking a deep breath.

"Hey Ardeth." Johan was the first one to see and greet Ardeth as soon as he stepped inside the Jones household.

"Hey Johan." Ardeth said fist bumping with Johan, who has an arm wrapped around Marcie.

"Hello May." Ardeth said looking at Marcie, Sherlyn stamped on his foot making him whimper in pain.

"He meant Marcie, isn't it Ardeth?" Sherlyn said smiling sweetly at Ardeth, who nodded his head.

"We should go and meet the other family members." Marcie said to Sherlyn, "Come on, Jo." She said walking into the large living room.

Ardeth met the Jones family, who were genial to him.

"Hey Ardeth, fancy some beer?" One of the twin brothers asked holding up the beer bottles.

"Not today." Ardeth declined politely.

"Hey boys, help your father to bring down the tables from the attic." Mrs.Jones ordered the twins, who went towards the attic mumbling something incoherent.

"Hey, do you need anything?" Sherlyn asked Ardeth, as she saw him sitting awkwardly with Mrs.Jones, Marcie, and Johan.

"No, I am good." Ardeth nodded.

"Okay, make yourself comfortable, I am making hot chocolate, if you need anything, I will be in the kitchen." Sherlyn said pointing towards the kitchen.

After a few minutes, Mrs.Jones excused herself, leaving Ardeth alone with Marcie and Johan, who seemed to be in their own world.

Ardeth mumbled an excuse and walked out for a smoke. He pulled out a cigarette from his pocket, and searched for the matchbox, patting his pockets, with cigarette between his lips.

"Here." Someone passed him a lighter, from behind.

"Thank you." Ardeth accepted the lighter and turned around to thank the person. "Mr.Priestly." he spit the cigarette out looking at James, who was standing infront of Ardeth.

"Please go ahead, you were on your way to have a smoke." James said as he walked past Ardeth into the garage.

"It's okay." Ardeth said looking at James, who was working on some wooden craft.

"It's okay, you seem like you need one. Don't mind me." James said as he began to punch the nails into a wooden table. "Go ahead." He said with his back facing Ardeth.

Ardeth lit the cigarette and began to take the puffs, as he watched James work.

"Thank you, sir." Ardeth said as he returned the lighter to James.

"How many cigarettes do you smoke per day?" James asked as he measured the wood with a scale.

"Five to six." Ardeth answered, and James nodded.