Chapter 38

Ardeth took a deep breathe smoothening his shirt, standing by the door of Sherlyn's home.

"I can do it." Ardeth mumbled to himself, before knocking the door.

He felt nervous as he heard the footsteps behind the door.

"Ardeth." James said surprised looking at Ardeth.

"Hello Mr.Priestly." Ardeth greeted him.

"Is Sherlyn expecting you?" James asked letting Ardeth walk inside the home, he walked in looking around at the home for it is  the first time, he was entering through the front door.

"Yes." Ardeth answered, and as on que Sherlyn walked down the stairs, looking as nervous as Ardeth.

"Okay, I will be in my room." James said turning on his heel.

"Er..Mr.Priestly." Ardeth called making him stop and look at him, "I came to speak with you." He coughed.

"Okay..." James said looking between Ardeth and Sherlyn, and nodded his head to go ahead.

"I..." Ardeth stuttered under James's intimidating gaze.

"What about you?" James asked in a straight tone making Ardeth even more nervous.

"I...." Ardeth stammered as he felt his hands get cold.

"There are 25 other Alphabets other than I, speak it out." James said fixing his bespectacled gaze on Ardeth.

"I am pregnant." Ardeth rambled.

"What?!" James looked at him with disbelief.

"I mean we are pregnant." He said clasping Sherlyn's hand tightly as his own shivered.

James looked between Sherlyn and Ardeth in shock and surprise.

"Is it true?" James asked looking at Sherlyn.

Sherlyn nodded her head holding Ardeth's hand in a tight grip.

"We are sorry, Mr.Priestly." Ardeth said breaking the silence.

"I am sorry, Pa." Sherlyn said looking at her father.

James cleared his throat before he started speaking.

"It's so sudden I can't even explain how I am feeling." James sighed, and looked at Sherlyn and Ardeth.

"I love Sherlyn, but you are her father, I want your acceptance before we can take any decision." Ardeth said to James.

"True, she is my baby, I can take decisions only regarding my child, but since she is an adult and is carrying your child, it's your decision more than mine. I would support whatever your decision is." James said to Ardeth and Sherlyn.

"Thank you." Ardeth said to James.

"So..." James asked, "Are you keeping the baby or..."

"We are keeping the baby." Sherlyn and Ardeth said in unison.

"Great then." James smiled, "I am already excited to be a grandpa."

Ardeth and Sherlyn smiled looking at eachother.

"Pumpkin, why don't you go and make some coffee, while I have a word with Ardeth." James said gesturing Ardeth to sit.

"Sure, Pa." Sherlyn nodded.

"Wait." Ardeth said stopping Sherlyn, "Umm... Mr.Priestly, can I have tea instead?" He asked James, "She is being sensitive to the smell of coffee." He explained further.

James nodded.

"Pumpkin, make whatever is comfortable for you." James said to Sherlyn, and she walked away towards the kitchen.

Ardeth sat infront of James, in awkward silence once again.

"So, did you inform your family about the baby?" James asked.

"No." Ardeth shook his head, "I don't have a good relationship with my family. I am twenty-one and legally an adult, so I am a free person."

James nodded.

"What are your plans regarding Sherlyn and the baby?"

"I love Sherlyn, and our baby, they are my family now." Ardeth said honestly, "One day with your blessing, I want to marry Sherlyn."

"Ardeth, I appreciate that you are willing to stand up for Sherlyn and your baby. Not many people of your age would have done that." James said in a appreciative tone.

"I don't want to run away from my responsibilities."

"Please don't hesitate to ask for any help if you are in need." James said to Ardeth.

"Sure, I will remember that." Ardeth smiled as he watched Sherlyn walk in carrying tea.

"Thanks for everything, Mr.Priestly." Ardeth said walking out of the living room.

"You are welcome, Ardeth." James smiled. "I will be in my room." He excused leaving Ardeth and Sherlyn alone.

"I am happy that everything went well." Sherlyn smiled.

"Yeah, that went well without any violence, I expected a punch or two from your father." Ardeth chuckled.

"My father isn't someone who would hurt others." Sherlyn defended her father.

"You can't be sure about anything when it comes to their children, especially the daughters." Ardeth shook his head.

"Anyways, I am happy that my father and you are in good terms." Sherlyn said hugging Ardeth.

"Me too." Ardeth smiled. "Are you and baby good?" He asked.

"Yes, I am staying away from the strong smells and the smells that are making me nauseous."

"Good, call me if you need anything, at anytime, okay?" Ardeth asked tucking Sherlyn's hair behind her ear.

"Okay." Sherlyn smiled.

"Good, take care of yourself and the baby." Ardeth pecked her, and walked towards his car.

"Pa." Sherlyn called standing infront of James, "I am sorry."

"I didn't expect this from you Pumpkin." James shook his head, "You have been feeling ill from past three days and you didn't bother tell me."

"Pa, I was scared."

"I thought I am being a cool father, but still you were hiding things from me." James said sadly.

"I am sorry, Pa." Sherlyn cried. "I was very scared."

"Never do that again Pumpkin, whatever it is tell me." James said patting Sherlyn's head, and she nodded.

"Good, now give me a hug." James said and Sherlyn hugged him.

"I am happy that I am going to be a grandpa." James smiled. "And I am also proud of you that you chose a right guy for you."

"Thank you Pa." Sherlyn smiled.