An Unusual Weapon

"These people are dying in their sleep. How is that our problem?" You asked, spreading the last of the royal icing on the sugar cookie, adding a good shake of the red and gold sprinkles. "You promised no more hunts this close to Christmas."

He reached over, snatching the cookie and taking a huge bite out of it. "I know. But these people have their stomachs sliced open. All of their guts are missing, with pebbles and straw in its place. That has to be our thing."

Taking the empty frosting bowls to the sink, you sighed unhappily. It looked like your holiday plans were going to be placed on hold. "Fine. But we're picking out a Christmas tree on our way back."

"Deal." Dean took another cookie. "Pack these things up for the road."

After a three-hour drive, you were finally settling into a hotel in the small little town. Every single building was covered in some sort of Christmas decorations. Snow-covered the sidewalks, and continued to steadily coming down. "Did we step into a snowglobe?" You asked, admiring the small tinsel Christmas tree on the table. A garland was hungover each bed, along with lights around the window. It was the most festive hotel room you had ever seen.

"Isn't it awesome?" Dean exclaimed. "I love this town!"

Sam stomped his boots, kicking off the snow before stepping inside. "It's really snowing outside. We might be stuck here for a while. Guess we'll be spending a lot of time researching."

"Speak for yourself," Dean smacked Sam's shoulder. "I'm gonna head down to the nearest bar. With weather like this, I guarantee a lot of the locals have gathered there. Have fun researching. I'll bring food back later."

Grabbing his fleece-lined canvas coat, he left without another word, leaving you and Sam to do the bulk of the research. "You can head too," Sam offered, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "I got this."

"No, I'll help you. I'm not big on the bar scene." Handing Sam one laptop, you opened your own, getting down to business.

An hour or so later, you felt as if you hadn't made much progress. "Sam, have you found anything?"

"I called the coroner's office, and they told me pretty much what we already know. The victim died in their sleep, their bellies ripped open. Everything, their stomach, liver, kidneys. All replaced with stone and straw. They've never seen anything like that. Three people so far."

It was puzzling to you too. "I've never heard of anything like it either," you admitted. "I guess maybe after we talk to their families we can figure...,"

The door slammed open and Dean sauntered inside, snow covering the collar of his jacket. His hair was all messed up, a big goofy grin on his face. "You guys will never believe it. I found this...this amazing woman. Here. In this tiny little town."

He sank down on the edge of the bed, both you and Sam glaring at him. "You've been flirting? Weren't you supposed to be working?"

He waved you off. "I can do both sweetheart. You'd know that if you ever came to the bar with me. But yeah, she said she knew the last victim. Even told me if I came over to her place tonight she would tell me all about it."

"Dean," you and Sam both exclaimed. "Doesn't that sound like a trap?"

Rolling his eyes, he checked his reflection in the mirror, brushing his hair back. "Maybe. I don't care. She's freaking hot. Don't wait up for me guys."

He started to pass you, and you reached up, picking a couple of strands of straw from his collar. "Dean, did you take a roll in a barn on your way back?"

He shook his head. "Nope. I have no idea where that came from."

He headed out the door, and you stared at Sam as the wheels in your mind turned. "Sam, are you thinking...,"