In My Mind Part 2

Sleep was hard to come by. The bed creaked and groaned as you tossed and turned, the rough blankets getting tangled around your legs. Your head still pounded, even with the aspirin you had taken earlier.

Dean was strangely quiet, leaving you alone while you tried to catch an hour or two of shuteye. It was a little disconcerting, and when you woke once again at two in the morning, you had to check. "Dean, are you asleep?"

"How can I sleep when your thoughts are flooding through here?" He muttered. Keeping your eyes you could see him, sitting on the floor of your mind. He was leaning back against the wall, his legs crossed at his ankles. He seemed as exhausted as you felt, making you realize you had considered how taxing this would be on him as well.

"I'm so sorry Dean," you thought, the words not leaving your lips. It was weird, conversing with someone without the words coming out loud. "I know this is hard for you as well."

"I'm just frustrated that I can't be out there, helping out. I'm not good at twiddling my thumbs," he grumbled.

Yawning, you cuddled deeper under the blanket, and Dean sighed. "You need sleep. I know it's not comfortable with me up here, but we need you on top of your game."

You weren't sure if Dean could see your smile as you drifted off to sleep, but you smiled anyway. Not realizing that while you were asleep, all of your thoughts and memories would be easier for him to hear.

The sun was barely peeking through the blinds when you woke once more. Sam was still asleep in the bed beside yours, but you knew he would be up soon enough. Dean was strangely quiet as you stumbled your way to the bathroom, closing your eyes as you did your business. Dean was asleep inside your mind, his head tucked against his chest. He was still leaning against the wall, his arms crossed, and you tried to keep your thinking as light as possible to not wake him.

While it was only you up and about, you thought that you could sneak in a shower.

Keeping your gaze up to the ceiling, you stripped, climbing into the warmth of the shower, letting the pressure of the water ease some of the tension from your shoulders.

"Y/N, you're awake!" Dean exclaimed, startling you enough that you smacked your head against the wall.

"Damn it!" You exclaimed, rubbing the knot forming on your forehead.

"Sorry," Dean apologized, his words lower, much easier for you to handle. You quickly closed your eyes, hoping that Dean hadn't gotten any glimpses you didn't want him to. "I'm just ready to start the day."

You could see him stretching his arms, his t-shirt riding up, barely giving you a glimpse of his belly, and you lost all train of thought. Dean rubbed the back of his neck, raising an eyebrow. "Y/N, you're coming in loud and clear," he muttered, his cheeks turning slightly red at the thoughts flowing through your mind.

"Damn it!" You exclaimed, Dean wincing at the loudness of your words, while you shut the water off, mortified.

"Y/N, don't worry about it," Dean tried to assure you. "I know more than you probably realize."

Wrapping a towel around your torso, you wanted to crawl into the wall and never come out, but Sam was yelling at you through the door.

"Y/N, let's get moving!"

Dean was strangely quiet once again as you pulled on your jeans, t-shirt, and flannel. Your hair was pulled up into a messy bun and you joined Sam in the main room.

"How's Dean doing?"

"I'm doing good," Dean answered Sam, even though he couldn't hear him. "Really good surprisingly."

Your heart raced as you answered Sam, refusing to even blink so you wouldn't have to look at Dean. You were scared to find out what he knew, and you wanted more than anything to have your mind to yourself once again. Which was one of the weirdest things you had ever said.

"Y/N, don't worry, I want out of here as much as you want me gone," Dean spoke up. "I hate being on the sidelines."

"Let's go kill a witch," you muttered, hoping that you wouldn't have to take out a kitten as well.

Sam climbed into the driver's seat of the Impala, backing it out of the parking lot. All thew hile you had to listen to Dean muttering and swearing at every little thing that Sam did wrong. "If he so much as scratches Baby," he threatened.

Closing your eyes, you could see Dean pacing in the dark little room of his. His tension was permeating the air around him, making you feel even tenser and anxious than you had just minutes before. "Dean, cool it!" You chastized, needing as much of a level head as you could while dealing with witches.

"Sorry," he mumbled. "I just know that Sam...,"

"Sam is driving carefully." you insisted. "So if you can calm down, so we can both be calm."

Dean went to the corner, deep in the shadows, sulking at the rebuttal. You took the reprieve, opening your eyes, watching as the pine trees sped past. You were close to the dirt road you had taken last night.

Sam slowly drove down the rutted lane, branches snapping at the shiny black paint job. Dean remained quiet in your mind, ignoring the fact that his car was dusty. Sam was being as careful as he could, parking the car off to the side. "Can you retrace your steps?" He asked, staring at the thick forest full of trees and bushes. Even though it was already mid-morning, the trees blocked most of the light. Whisps filtered through, shining on the little flowers and fallen trees on the floor. It would have been beautiful if not for the thought of the witch hanging over you.

"We went that way," You pointed to Sam, recognizing the narrow path through two slim pine trees. We were about a mile in, but I don't know where her cabin would be."

"We'll find it," Dean insisted, coming forward from the shadows of your mind, once again calm and in charge of his emotions. "We won't stop until we find that witch and gank her."

You took charge, striding down the narrow path, trying to remember your exact steps from last night. Even with the canopy of leaves and needles overhead, it was much lighter than last night. Many of the shadows and bushes weren't nearly as scary as they were the night before. A deer darted past you, stopping you in your tracks, your heart pounding at the sudden movement.

"Wow, didn't expect that," Dean exclaimed. Closing your eyes for a moment, you could see him, standing in the middle of the room, his feet spread, his arms crossed. He was close to the light, which meant he could see everything you could.

"Just a deer," you whispered, forcing your feet to move. But Sam stopped you.

"What spooked the deer?" He asked, turning to see another, barely there, trail in the forest. It could belong to animals, but you both had a feeling that it was something more.

"Make that three," Dean insisted. "The forest is too quiet, and that deer seemed abnormally spooked. I say we go that way."

You couldn't see much past the dense foliage, but you had to agree. The forest was creepishly quiet. No leaves moved, no animals scuttled under the brush. No birds sitting high in the trees. It had the hair on the back of your neck standing up, and you wished Dean was there so you could step closer to him for comfort.

"I'm still right here," He spoke softly, his hands clenched in fists at his side. "I'm always here when you need it."

Calmness swirled around you, like a comforting blanket over your shoulders. It came from your mind, no doubt from Dean, easing some of the anxiety you felt. Releasing a big breath, you followed Sam down the path, ready to face the witch and get things over with.