The Sound of Thunder

Jensen x Reader

ANGST!!

"Damn you, how could you think that?" You yelled over the crack of the thunder outside. Ignoring the way the hotel window shook, or how bright the room had gotten with the bolt of lightning through the window. Nothing mattered except the agony, the disbelief you were currently feeling. "I thought you knew me better than that."

"Well yeah, so did I," Jensen muttered, walking over, throwing open the door of the small fridge, taking a chilled beer bottle from inside. Popping the top open on the counter, he took a long sip, before turning to stare at you once again, the indifference on his face breaking your heart. "I really didn't think you would stoop that low."

"I didn't!" You cried, tears swelling up in your eyes, threatening to fall, but you didn't want to give him the satisfaction. Already he had caused so much heartbreak with his distrust, you couldn't give him your tears as well. "Jensen, I love you. I would never do something like that. Please, let me explain."

"No, I don't think so," he spat. "I don't want to hear any of your excuses, or your pathetic attempts to tell me that what I saw isn't true."

"What you saw is what the press wanted you to see," you tried telling him. "I'm not going to cheat on you! I don't care if it looked like it in those pictures, it's not happening!"

"I'd like to believe you. I really would. But I can't get past those pictures. I never thought the woman I had given my heart to would throw it back at my feet. Right now I don't even want to be in the same room as you."

"Well, I guess you can get your wish," you whispered, ignoring the way the rain was pelting down outside. All you could think about was getting away from this pain. Away from this look in his eyes. A look you hadn't ever wanted to see.

Your purse was on the table, and without even glancing his way, you pulled out a picture, slamming it on the table. "Here, if you change your mind."

Unable to stay in that room any longer, you threw the door open, immediately getting soaked as the rain poured down, but it didn't matter. It hid your tears as you slammed the door shut behind you.

Without a car, you were left on foot, and you raced into the parking lot, frantically glancing around. A park was off to your left, and you began the trek towards it, your shoes soaked, your hair matted to your face, your heart absolutely shattered.

Sure, the picture had looked incriminating. Your costar had gotten cozy to you during the press release, but that's all it had been. A stupid publicity stunt on his part, and you had pushed him away immediately. But Jensen had refused to listen to you when you had shown up for the weekend together, and you were scared your relationship was over. A relationship you had thought was just beginning to bloom.

Lightning crackled all around you. The air was thick with the electricity as the rain continued to pour, thunder shaking the ground you walked on. Stepping onto the soaked grass, you didn't even bother to wipe away your tears.

"Y/N!" You heard your name being called. Without even bothering to turn, you kept on walking, wanting to find a place to hide in. Some place he couldn't come and batter your already bruised heart.

"Y/N wait!" He yelled again. "It's not safe out here, especially.... This storm is ridiculous!"

"Well, maybe you should have thought about that before you literally kicked me out of the hotel room!" You exclaimed, turning to face him, wrapping your arms around your waist.

In his hand he held the picture you had given him, his face full of shock. "Is this..."

"Yeah. Jensen, I never would have cheated on you. Especially not with him, and not with that happening," you waved your hand towards the picture. "But Jensen, I can't believe you wouldn't believe me. That you wouldn't listen."

"Y/N, those pictures just seemed so real," he spoke softly, and it was hard to hear him over the crack of lightning that landed behind the hotel. This wasn't the safest place to have this conversation.

"Jensen, I'm leaving. I'm going to get out of this storm, find someplace safe for the night. Let you stew over this, and then maybe in the morning we can talk." Turning, you began walking towards town, where you had seen another, smaller, hotel tucked in between shops. With only a couple of steps between you, you heard the crack of lightning once again, so close it made the hair on your neck stand up, the roar of the thunder instantaneous, as it struck the tree behind you.

A sharp scream was heard, and you turned back just in time to see part of the cracked tree, broken from the lightning bolt, fall down, directly on top of Jensen. "No!" You screamed, watching as it struck his shoulder and head, knocking him to the ground before landing on top of him. Racing over, you knelt into the drenched grass, crying for help, seeing his hand outstretched, the ultrasound still grasped in his hand.

Five years later

"Mommy, can I sleep with you?" Your little girl asked, standing in your doorway. You weren't asleep either, the storm outside wrecking havoc with your emotions. Nodding, you held up the blankets, letting her climb underneath and wrap her little arms around your waist. "Mommy, I don't like the thunder. It's scary."

"I don't either," you admitted, pressing a kiss to her hair, trying to calm the tremors that ran through your system. Ever since that fateful day, when a storm much like this one had taken the love of your life, you couldn't stand the sound of thunder.

It had been the worst day of your life. Fighting with him, never actually being able to say goodbye. Never being able to resolve things. Knowing that he would never have the chance to hold his daughter, watch her grow. All because of your stupid little fight, and the horrible storm that had raged outside.

Thunder rattled the window outside, and you held tight to your daughter, both of you scared of the storm, but for very different reasons.