Love is the Only Gold

The paper between your fingers was brittle and yellow with age. The words were hard to follow, written in beautiful penmanship long forgotten. Your brow was furrowed as you tried to understand the old English but it was nearly impossible.

"Find anything?" Sam asked, leaning back in his seat, closing the large book in front of him.

You shrugged. "I don't know. This book is so hard to read that the answer could be right in front of me and I wouldn't know."

Sam chuckled just as Dean came striding into the small hotel room, his arms full of takeout. "How's research going?"

"How do you always seem to finagle your way out of research?" Sam teased, taking on the paper bags from his brother, pulling out a couple of tacos.

"He does do that, doesn't he?" You agreed with Sam just as Dean handed you your food. Rolling his eyes, he pressed a kiss to your cheek before he sank down in the empty chair beside you.

"I'm not stupid," he chuckled. "But I still did research."

"How?" You and Sam both asked, your mouth full of fast-food Mexican food. You had turned your chair, propping your feet on Dean's lap, watching as he took a huge bite out of his burrito.

Talking with his mouth full, Dean answered. "At the restaurant, they were talking about the disappearings. How each woman had been at this bar the night before. The Golden Elephant. Who the hell names a bar the Golden Elephant?"

"And?" You prodded Dean on, wanting him to get to the point.

Rolling his eyes, he set his burrito down. "They all talked to the same man. He was tall and medium build with black hair and dark brown eyes."

"So we're thinking this normal looking man tore these women to shreds. With his bare hands?"

Sam had finished eating by this time, and he leaned forward. "Just because he's normal looking doesn't mean he's actually normal. Each of the women has scorch marks on their skin. Almost as if they were burned by lightning."

You slipped your feet from Dean's lap, sighing in frustration. "So we know that these women were at this weird bar and met a normal looking man who could have then electrocuted them and ripped them to shreds. What type of monster does that anyways?"

"No clue," Dean shrugged. "But I thought we could go to the bar tonight, see if he shows up. He has a type." Dean was staring straight at you, and you immediately knew what he meant.

"Me? I fit the bill?"

He nodded, reaching out and grasping your hand. "You know I hate using you as bait. But you fit the description of the other women that have been taken. And Sam and I will be at the bar the whole time. And you're a badass hunter who can take care of herself."

You hated when Dean through your words right back in your face. But you knew he was right. Five women were dead, torn to bits and you wanted it stopped. Even if it meant putting yourself in harm's way. "Fine. Do I have to dress a certain way?"

"Nope, you always look good," Dean assured you, pulling you to your feet. "Got your knife?"

You nodded, tapping the knife holster on your side. You refused to go anywhere without the special knife that Dean had given you for your birthday. It was coated in silver, with an iron handle. Enochian was etched along the blade. "Good," he answered. "Let's get this party on the road!"

Within the hour you were perched at the counter of the gaudy bar, sipping on a glass of whiskey. Your eyes hurt at all the gold decorations shining in the lighted lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Gold trim and paint-filled almost every available space. A large golden elephant was perched behind the bar, it's trunk lifted proudly in the air. The entire place smelled of incense, tickling your nose.