Christmas Eve Distractions

The sheets felt like silk against your skin, the blanket fuzzy and soft above it. Your mattress was the perfect firmness. Your bed was the perfect place to snuggle in and sleep all day. But today it couldn't hold you.

As soon as your eyes opened that morning, you were up. With a huge smile on your face, you showered quickly, changing into a festive shirt and a pair of jeans. Tussling your hair into a quick braid, you skipped down the stairs.

Everything was perfect. At least to you. You had deep cleaned yesterday, making sure the surfaces shined and the windows gleamed. Christmas decorations were everywhere. Garlands and boughs and those cute little gnomes that seemed so popular right now.

The tree, a huge 12-foot tree was in its place of honor beside the gleaming wood stairs. Decorated perfectly with red and green and gold ornaments, along with the ones you and Jensen had picked out on your various trips.

Heading into the kitchen, you made sure the cookie jars were lined up perfectly, with colorful sugar cookies nestled inside. Your coffee was already warm and waiting for you, and you sipped it gratefully as you scrambled an egg. Taking your coffee and breakfast to the little nook, you stared outside in amazement.

"It's snowing," you whispered in complete shock. It never snowed in Texas. Gleefully you picked up your phone, dialing Jensen's number.

Seconds later his sleepy voice filled your ear. "Is everything okay sweetheart?"

"It's snowing!" You exclaimed happily. "It never snows in Texas. I can't believe we have snow on Christmas Eve."

"I heard there was a chance," he muttered, the sleep slowly fading. "Let me check the radar."

He was silent for a couple of moments as you watched the thick flakes fall gently to the ground. "Y/N, sweetheart, the storm is covering all of Texas. All the way up into Colorado and Oklahoma. They're calling for a lot of snow to fall down."

"That's fun," you said, but it slowly dawned on you. "But you're flying home soon! How's that going to affect your flight?"

He sighed, and you could hear the concern in his voice. "Sweetheart, I'm not sure. I'm gonna head to the airport right now with Jensen, and we'll see what they say. I'll keep you up to date. But please, don't worry. Relax. Watch some Christmas movies, and I'll be home before you know it."

"Please be safe Jay," you pleaded. "I love you."

"Love you too," he answered. "And don't worry. I'll be home soon."

Hanging up the phone, you pushed your uneaten eggs away, your mood dampened. Sure, the snow was beautiful, but not if it meant Jensen wouldn't make it home. You wanted him home.

You could feel your anxiety start to rise, and you decided to do as he suggested. Taking a snack with you, you headed into the living room. Turning on the TV, you settled on the Santa Clause, hoping that the light-hearted movie would make you feel better.

You were currently on the third movie of the Santa Claus series, an empty carton of ice cream beside you when the phone rang again. Picking it up, you quickly answered it. "Jay!"

"Hey sweetheart," his voice was muddled with a large crowd behind him. "They're getting ready to load the planes now. We should be touching down in Austin in a couple of hours."

"Thank God," you sighed. "Have a safe flight, and I'll see you soon."

He made no mention of the storm, but you could see the snow continuing to fall outside. As soon as you hung up, you clicked open the radar on your phone. Everything was covered with thick clouds, the entire area getting hammered by the storm. "Please, just let Jensen get home," you pleaded out loud as you clicked play once again.

Around noon you got up for a break. Cleaning up the kitchen, you made yourself a cup of hot tea, along with a light lunch of cheese and crackers. Wishing you could do something more, you went back into the living room, clicking play on the next movie. Elf. Jensen's favorite Christmas movie. You knew that as soon as he was home you would watch it again. But you wanted the comedy to distract you.

Finishing off your tea, you stifled a yawn just as your phone rang again.

"Hey, sweetheart!" Jensen called out, his voice loud. You could hear lots of noise behind him, voices and the intercom.

"Did you make it?" You asked relief flooding through you. "It's still snowing here, so drive carefully."

He sighed, and your heart sank. "Y/N, they had to divert our plane. We were able to make it to Dallas, but they've canceled all flights."

"What are you going to do?" You asked. "Are they giving you hotel rooms for the night?"

You didn't even want to think about waking up by yourself on Christmas morning. But it was better than having Jensen in danger. "Hell no," he exclaimed. "Well, they are. But I don't want to stay in a freaking hotel on Christmas Eve. I've rented a car. The last car they've had, and Jared and I are on our way home. We might be late, but we'll be there. I'll try to keep you up to date."

"Please be safe," you pleaded. "And if it gets too bad, promise you'll find somewhere to spend the night."

"I love you," he answered before hanging up. Frowning, you wrapped the throw from the couch around your shoulders, standing up to stare out the front window. The snow was still falling, the ground turning white. The neighbor's Christmas lights were blurry through the flurries, creating a surreal Christmas scene. Normally you would have been enchanted. But now? You wanted 80-degree temperatures and Jensen by your side.

Ignoring any idea of dinner, you sank back down on the couch, clicking on the next movie in your Christmas movie marathon. A marathon that would normally have been fun. But now it was a constant reminder that Jensen wasn't home, and was traveling rough roads.

This time you went for a Christmas Cottage. Watching the familiar face of Jensen's best friend brought some comfort as you snuggled into the couch. Picking up your phone, you saw no missed messages. No unread texts. No news on Jensen and his trip home. You quickly typed out a message, a quick, "Are you okay?"

Holding your phone, you waited for it to chime, but it stayed silent. Making your way around the house, you poured yourself another cup of tea, taking a cookie from the jar. The house seemed so quiet, so empty. The lights flickered slightly, the storm messing with the electricity. Pulling out candles, you placed them around the room just in case. You started a fire in the fireplace, turning It's a Wonderful Life on TV.

The power stayed on as the black and white movie ran in the background. You scrolled through Facebook, seeing pictures of the snow, and the devastation the storm had caused. Roads were closed, cars off to the side. Roofs had collapsed, and businesses had closed. It wasn't the Christmas Eve people had hoped for, and you prayed that everyone, especially Jensen, stayed safe.

As the movie winded down, tears slipped down your cheek. You could feel the anxiety and hopelessness of George mixing with your own feelings. Wrapping your arms around your knees, you let the tears fall. You were scared that Jensen was stuck somewhere along the road, unable to contact you.

"Please," you pleaded, wiping away the tears. Taking a deep breath, you turned your attention back to the movie just as the town showed up, giving all the support that George so desperately needed. A happy ending. Just what you wished for.

"Y/N," Jensen spoke softly as he opened the garage door. Standing there, looking exhausted, his body shadowed with the Christmas lights of the tree.

"Jensen! You made it!" You exclaimed, standing up and racing over to him. Throwing your arms around him, you held him tight. "I was so worried!"

"It was touch and go for a while there. But we made it. Just like I promised."

You looked him over, relieved that he was home, and okay. "You hungry? You have to be hungry. Come to the kitchen and I'll make something for you."

You turned to head into the kitchen, your heart bursting with joy when he reached out, grasping your hand and pulling you back into his embrace. "If you don't mind, I'd rather just stay this way for a little bit longer."

With his arms wrapped tightly around you, you snuggled into his chest just as the clock struck midnight. "Merry Christmas sweetheart," he whispered into your hair. "I told you I'd make it."