A Good Man

Freshly painted nails tapped in rhythm on the steering wheel. The radio was cranked up, loud enough to cover your off-key singing as you rounded the corner to home. You were relaxed and recharged, ready to face whatever lay ahead of you.

A weekend with the girls had been just what you needed. Food and booze, nail polish and cheesy romance movies. No thoughts of Monsters, or whatever awaited you next. Just fun with people you didn't get to see very often.

Slowing your car down, you entered the bunker's garage. The Impala was parked off to the side, freshly washed and ready for its next trip. Patting the hood fondly, thinking of all the fun times spent in the backseat of that classic car.

With your duffel bag tossed over your shoulder, you walked down the hallway. Past Sam's room. The room you shared with Dean was empty. Tossing your bag on the bed, you continued down the hallway, to the library where you heard raised voices. Voices that had an edge to them.

You knew Dean well enough to know that was acceptance and sadness in his voice. It had the smile faltering on your face, your heart rate speeding up in trepidation. Because whatever awaited you in that library was not going to be good.

Rounding the corner, you took stock of the room. Sam and Cas were standing at the head of the table while Dean sat in the chair with his boots perched on the table. His arms were crossed, while Sam leaned with his hands on the table, a frown on his face. "Damn it, Dean, we can find another way!"

It was then you noticed Rowena hiding in the back, almost completely bathed in shadows. Her dress glimmered, her hands clutching a heavy-looking book. Her eyes were wide, her lips parted as she watched the conversation.

"Hey, guys, what's going on?" You spoke up, trying to keep your voice light even though the tension in the room had reached you. It was as thick as syrup, stifling. It made you wish you were back with your friends because you knew you weren't going to like what was coming.

"Guys, give me some time with Y/N?" Dean asked his brother and friend. They glanced between themselves. Sam sighed before patting Cas on the back.

"Fine. But this conversation isn't over."

They left, Rowena following behind, leaving you alone with Dean. Sinking down into the seat across from him, you took a good hard look at the man who held your heart in his hands. His jaw was tight, his eyes glancing everyone around the room except at your face. His hand clenched the beer bottle in his hand so tightly you thought the glass was going to crack. Even though his laid back, feet propped up stance could be taken as calm, you knew it wasn't.

"Dean, what is going on?" You asked, clasping your hands together, trying to stop them from shaking.

He sighed, moving to set up, the calm demeanor gone. In its place was a serious version of Dean, scary in a way no one but those closest to him could understand. "Y/N, you know how Hell opened?"

"Yeah," you answered carefully, letting him take and hold your hand.

"We thought it was taken care of. But it was just a bandaid, never meant to hold. So while you were gone, we came up with a new plan. One to stop it for good."

"And who has to die this time?" You asked. It had to be something like that. And you had an idea who it would be. "Dean..,"

He stood up, pacing back and forth in front of the table. "Y/N, it's worth it. If we can get rid of Demons once and for all, then it's worth it!"

"Nothing is worth your life," you whispered softly, a tear trickling down your cheek. "Dean, don't I get a say in this? If I hadn't come home a day early, would I have even had a chance to say goodbye?"

Cursing under his breath he sat back down, pulling his chair until it was in front of yours. Taking both of your hands in his, he nibbled nervously on his lip. "Y/N, you know how I hate goodbyes," he tried joking, but the look on your face quickly stopped the joking. "Y/N, this has to be done. And I knew the moment I saw your face I wouldn't be strong enough. Please, let me be strong enough to do this?"

"You know, Dean, you don't have to die to prove you're a good man," you muttered, pulling your hands from his. "It doesn't always have to land on your shoulders!"

You stood up, needing space, pushing away from him even though a part of you wanted to throw yourself in his arms and plead with him. Tears streamed down your cheek as you pressed your forehead against the tiled wall, trying to calm your aching heart. You had a feeling that no matter what you said, Dean wouldn't change. He would always gladly give up his life to save everyone else.

"Y/N, I love you," he spoke softly, pressing a kiss to your temple. "But I need to do this. Not because it will prove that I'm a good man. It's too late for that. But because I can. I can save the world, and if I can't, who will?"

His lips ghosted against your skin once more before he was gone. You turned around, wanting to call him back, but knowing it wouldn't change things. Dean had made up his mind and you had to live with the consequences. Even if they shattered your heart.