Under the Stars

Branches snapped as you continued forward, your feet sinking into the soft forest floor. Pine needles pulled at your clothes, the mosquitoes buzzing around your skin. You were tired and miserable, and it didn't seem like you were going back to your hotel room any time soon.

"You doing okay back there?" Dean called over his shoulder, leading the way through the thick foliage. His flannel sleeves were rolled back, his strong forearms covered in scratches. He had dirt smeared on his cheek but still seemed to be in fine spirits.

"Are we ever going to get back?" You whined. "It will be dark soon."

Dean stopped, waiting for you to catch up to him. He rubbed his hands along your arms. "I think we took a wrong turn back there, but it shouldn't be much longer. I promise. Then I'll buy you whatever you want for dinner and we can relax in the room. Okay?"

Your smile was half-hearted. You weren't mad at Dean, it wasn't his fault. Neither of you had realized that a quick hunt in the woods would turn into a four-hour hike. Dean threaded his fingers with yours, tucking you under his shoulder. "Let's keep moving."

It wasn't long before Dean was once again leading the way while you followed behind. The sun had already started to fade away, barely noticeable through the thick pine trees. It was chilly and damp, your flannel shirt no match for it.

Shivering, you wrapped your arms around your waist just as you broke into a clearing. You glanced around in anticipation, but no paved road or sleek black car was in sight. "Dean, face it. We're lost," you sighed. "Any reception?"

Dean held his phone up, his frown the only answer you needed. "What are we going to do?"

Dean spun in a circle, while you glanced on ahead. Another grove of trees was up ahead, the sun a cascading mixture of pink orange and red as it sunk down below. But it was the tire tracks and a built-up fire pit that had you excited. "Dean, look! Someone's camped here!"

"Then we have to be getting close to civilization," Dean agreed. "We could follow these tire tracks and hopefully get back to cell reception."

"In the dark?" You shivered, thinking of everything that could be lurking around in the woods. "I guess. But it beats spending the night out here."

"You're right," Dean sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Better wait the night out, and try when we can see what we're doing."

You had never considered yourself to be a needy person. You never needed a five-star hotel or the fanciest clothes. But sleeping out here, in the middle of nowhere had your stomach churning with anxiety.

Dean must have noticed how unsure you were. Pulling you against him, he rubbed your back soothingly. "Listen, I know it's not the greatest way to spend the night, but it's better than getting lost even deeper in the woods. We have wood and a fire pit, and you have me. We'll be fine. Oh, and I have snacks."

"Snacks?" You were surprised, but then you shouldn't have been. Dean always came prepared in case he got hungry. He dug in his duffel bag, pulling out a bag of peanut m&m's, along with a couple of granola bars and a flask of whiskey. "See, we'll be fine!"

He also pulled out his knife and a small blanket. "You are a lot more prepared than I figured," You admitted. "But then again, I shouldn't be surprised."

He gave you that smile of his you loved. It was a knowing smile, caught between a smirk and a full out grin. He saved it for those times he was caught showing off his brains, which he didn't do enough to suit you. You liked it when he let his brainy side out.

"Be right back," he promised, heading into the woods, while you cleared out a spot near the fire pit, settling the blanket down. With the sun setting the mosquitoes had quieted down for the night, the crickets chirping in the distance. If you weren't so tired and child, you would have thought the night beautiful. But right now a cheap two-star hotel's mattress sounded amazing to you.

Five minutes later Dean was back, his hands full of branches he had picked from the ground. He began placing them strategically in the pit, muttering under his breath as he worked. "You've done this before?" You asked, not picturing Dean as the camping type.

He shrugged. "Sure. There's been nights where we've camped out in the woods rather than pay for a hotel room. Actually it's kind of nice sleeping under the stars."

You could already see the stars in the dusk sky, barely shining yet but there. "I don't mind the stars. It's the cold, the bugs and whatever else that's out here that I'm worried about."

Chuckling, Dean pulled out his lighter. "I think you'll enjoy it. And then I promise you tomorrow you'll get a nice hot shower and dinner wherever you want."

"At the bunker? Your hamburger?" You asked, making Dean smile. "You got it sweetheart," he promised. Taking some dried grass, he easily started the fire, impressing you. Leaning down, he blew gently on the small flame. The fire took off, and Dean settled down on the blanket, pulling on your hand until you were sitting beside him. Wrapping his arm around you, he offered you a handful of m&m's.

"There, that's not so bad, is it?" He asked you as night fully settled in. The fire crackled and sparked, casting shadows around the area. The stars were brighter now, and you had to admit. It was quite nice.

"For right now," you agreed. "But later tonight?"

"I'll be right beside you," he assured you, squeezing your shoulder assuringly.

Sometime during the night, Dean wrapped you in the blanket, letting you use his lap as a pillow. He talked to you, stories of previous hunts. Funny things that Sam would have shot him if he heard his brother. He kept the fire burning, and with the warmth from it and him, you found yourself nodding off.

The sun was barely starting to filter through the trees behind you when Dean gently shook your shoulder. "It's time to head out," he spoke softly, his green eyes vibrant in the dawn light. Yawning, you sat up, the blanket slipping from your shoulder. The fire had died down, only embers glowing a deep red. "Didn't you get cold last night?" You asked, feeling horrible that he had suffered only to keep you safe and warm.

However, he shook his head no. "Between the fire and you beside me I was fine," he assured you. "It was a nice night."

Your body was a little sore and stiff as you stood up, but you didn't mind. Reaching down, you helped Dean to his feet."Dean, you're something, you know that, right?"

"Yeah, right," he scoffed, using the toe of his boots to push dirt over the remaining coals. "No, really. You amaze me. You're ability to adapt and change with each situation. Never giving up, always figuring out a way to make things work."

Your comments were getting to him, you could tell. He kept rubbing the back of his neck with his hand, never looking your way. "Well, I'm sorry I get us into these situations to begin with. If I was a...,"

You didn't let him finish, Grasping his arm with your hand, you forced him to look at you. "Dean, I fell in love with you because you weren't like anyone else. Because of the huge heart you have, and the way you always fight for those you love. Like the fact that you stayed up all night, keeping the fire going to make sure I wouldn't get cold."

"You love me?" He whispered, and you nodded.

"I love you," you told him again.

A huge smile broke out on his face. "I've been waiting forever to hear those words pass your lips. Y/N, I love you too."

"You know what would make me love you even more?"

He shrugged. "If you got us out of here and found us breakfast," you told him. Laughing, he wrapped up the blanket, handing you a granola bar before the two of you began the trek down the dirt road, not knowing the Impala was only a mile up ahead.