When Push Comes to Shove

When you had first received the phone call, you immediately hung up, your heart racing as memories from five years ago came crashing through the wall you had so carefully erected.

"No, I can't," you whispered, staring down at the phone laying on your bed as if it had bitten you. And truthfully, it had.

It started ringing again, Sam's name flashing on the phone, and while you wanted to toss it into the nearest trash can, you knew he would only call in an emergency.

"Hi Sam," you whispered, your voice shakier than you realized.

His voice crackled through the phone, the connection not the greatest. "Y/N, it's been a while."

"Yeah, it has," you agreed. You had missed him. You had once considered him your closest friend. But after your disaster with his brother, well....

"Listen, I'd love to catch up, but we have quite the problem going on here," he yelled through the phone. You could hear gunfire and yelling in the background, immediately putting your rusty hunter senses on high alert. "How fast can you get to Indiana?"

"That's five or so hours away," you measured in your head. "But Sam, I haven't gone on a hunt in..well...since you know."

Sam forgot about the phone call for a moment as he yelled in the background, the gunfire even closer. "Listen, I wouldn't have called you if this wasn't an all hands on deck kinda deal. So please. Get your guns and get your ass over here. Pronto."

He hung up, and you stared down at the phone in dismay. "Hey honey, is everything okay?" Tyler called from the doorway, and you glanced up at your boyfriend, hoping your poker face was in place. "Is everything okay? Who were you talking to?"

"Just an old friend," you answered, knowing that Tyler wouldn't be able to handle any aspect of your old life. "Wanted to do a little get together tomorrow."

Tyler strode forward, pulling you into his arms. It was comforting and safe, but nowhere near as exciting as...you refused to even think it. "Honey, I think you should go!" He exclaimed. "After all, I'm heading down to Vegas for the weekend with the boys. I was worried about you being here all alone, and now I won't have to worry."

He pressed a sweet kiss to your cheek before taking his duffle bag from the floor. "Let me know when you get there. K?"

You nodded, watching silently as he left the room, knowing that while your heart wanted you to stay here, where it was safe, you couldn't leave Sam in Danger. Or Dean.

Even thinking his name was enough to send a pain straight through your heart, and you wondered how you would ever get through the next few days.

Everything was as you had left it. Gathering a fine layer of dust, but the guns were still in good shape. Your ammo was a little low, but that could easily be fixed. You took the entire toolbox, the heavy weight welcome in your arms as you pushed it into the back of your classic old pickup. "Ready to ride again girl?" You asked the classic 1970 Ford, patting her tailgate fondly. You had painstakingly fixed her back up until she looked and ran better than ever before. Tyler had thought it odd but had never said anything.

With one last glance back at your normal life, you climbed into your truck, pulling out of the driveway and turning it to the highway that led straight to your past.

With the radio quietly playing country music, you thought back to the last time you had seen Sam and Dean. It had been horrible, parting with anger and frustration. Tears had filled your vision as you had driven away, not only from the man that still held your heart, but away from the only life you had ever known.