Providence

“Today’s the day,” you muttered to yourself as you poured your tumbler full of coffee. Your nerves were running high, but you were so excited as well. This job you had landed could make or break your entire interior design company, and you needed everything to go well.
“Everything okay in there boss?” Your assistant, Emily, asked. “We’re needing to leave in five minutes to make it to the house on time.” 
Placing the lid on your coffee, you made sure you had everything you needed. Your tablet with all your ideas. Fabric swatches and paint samples. You had spent the last three nights staying up, making sure that this was going to be perfect. 
Emily walked with you down to the parking lot, climbing into the passenger seat while you slid behind the wheel of your sleek, black, volkswagon. It wasn’t exactly prestigous, but it looked nice, and had amazing gas mileage. 
It was only a ten minute drive to the neighborhood where your potential client lived, and you went over the information with Emily one more time. “So we do not know this man’s name, they wanted to keep it private. But he is a well known actor, moving back to Texas after a divorce. He bought this house, but wants it decorated to better suit him.” 
“I wonder who it is?” Emily asked, clutching the paperwork tight in her hand. “Who’s had a divorce?” 
Shrugging your shoulders, you pulled into the subdivsion. “I don’t know. I don’t keep up with all of those fake celebrities. But remember, we are here for business. We aren’t going to act all wide-eyed and nervous just because they’ve made a couple of movies.” 
“Of course,” Emily gulped. “But just imagine. A famous celebrity telling everyone else that 5 Point Designs made his house look absolutely stunning.” 
“I hope it happens that way,” you agreed just as you parked in front of the house. It was a large house, not that you expected any less. You had been sent pictures of the inside, but pictures never really did houses justice. It wasn’t ostentacious like you had expected. Instead, the large, two story house was warm and inviting, with it;s worn wood and stone design outside. 
Smoothing down your pant suit, you let Emily carry the paperwork while you rang the door bell. Pasting a smile on your face, you told yourself it was all going to go great. He was going to love your ideas, and this house would put your business on the map. 
The door opened, and you stuck your hand out, ready to shake hands and introduce yourself. But you froze when your name was uttered by a man you had never expected to see again. “Y/N?”
“Jensen?” You whispered, your eyes searching the familiar angles of his face, your heart pounding in your chest. “What are you doing here?”
He chuckled, his voice deeper, smoother than you had remembered. “This is my house. Come on in.” 
He stepped to the side, letting you inside the massive foyer. But the house isn’t what had your attention. It was focused solely on Jensen. He was dressed casually, in a lightweight henley, and faded ripped jeans. His feet were bare, his hair mussed like he had just woken up from a nap. A beard was just forming on his face, framing his plump lips that you remembered so much. “It’s good to see you,” he spoke softly once you and Emily were inside. Emily was glancing between the two of you, no doubt trying to figure out what was going on. 
“Emily, why don’t you go get some coffee,” you found yourself saying, your eyes still caught in Dean’s gaze. “I think I have this handled.”
She handed off the paper work, taking your car keys, leaving you alone with the man who had once held your heart in his hands. 
“Let’s go into the den,” he suggested, leading the way. It gave you a chance to calm down. His shoulders were broader than you remembered, tapering down to those legs that had driven you crazy all those years ago. 
Once he had you sitting down on the gray blue couch, he strode back over to a liqour cabinet. “I don’t know about you, but I could use a drink.”
“Sure,” your voice warbled. 
“Still take it neat?” He asked, making your whiskey exaclty as you liked. Handing if off to you, he sat down in the black armchair across from you, crossing his leg, acting as if your meeting again wasn’t affecting him at all. “So, you’re the interior designer Jared hired for me.” 
“Jared?”
“My coworker. His wife knew of an interior designer, said she was new but did an amazing job. Didn’t realize it would be you,” Jensen spoke, his green eyes more like moss than you had remembered. 
“I can find someone else if that would be easier for you,” You started to say, utterly discomboluated. “I know there is history between us, and I…,”
“Y/N, why did you leave all those years ago?” He asked, leaning forward, his whiskey glass barely hanging from his fingers. “We were good together, weren’t we?” 
"We were," you started carefully. "But we wanted different things. Jensen, I didnt want to hold you back."
He stood up suddenly, rubbing the back of his neck as he started pacing. "Why would you have held me back?"
You had never considered that this conversation would happen. The words were hard to come by. "You had found acting, and you were so good at it. You were going to California, and I knew things were going to go well for you. But that life wasn't for me."
"That's a horrible excuse, and you know it!" He exclaimed, turning to face you. "We could have made it work. What was the real reason you left me?"
You could feel tears welling up in your eyes, burning before they slid down your cheek. His face softened as he dropped to his knees in front of you. "Jensen, I wanted to tell you. Really I did. But I didnt know how to get the words out, so I just left."
He reached up, brushing the tears from your face. His was full of pain. "What couldnt you tell me? Y/N, I never got over you. I tried. Hell, i even got married. But she wasnt you, and I felt like I was living a lie."
Sniffling, you dropped your gaze to your hands. "Jensen, do you remember the school's bonfire?"
"Our senior year? Yeah, that's when I asked you to move to California with me."
"Well..," you started crying then, the memories still painful. "I was assaulted. By the football captain."
Jensen seemed shocked by your words. Kneeling back on his heels, he stared at you in dismay. "Frank? Why the hell didnt you say something? I would have beaten the bastard into a pulp."
"That's why I didnt say anything," you whispered. "I knew you had big plans, and Frank's dad was the sheriff."
"Damn it Y/N, I'm so sorry." Jensen's eyes were full of grief. "But Y/N, I wish you had told me."
"You had this new life you were looking forward to. I felt broken, and I couldn't do it. I couldnt be happy and excited with you, so I did the only thing I could think of. I ran from you, from my problems. But my nightmares followed me, and it wasnt until a couple of years ago I finally started to feel like myself again."
"And now?" He asked, sitting beside you on the couch. "Is there a boyfriend…,"
"Nothing. There had been. But there was always this one thing wrong with them," you said, staring up at him.
"What was that?"
"How could I give them my heart when you still had it?"
Jensen's eyes widened slightly before he was pulling you towards him, his lips searching for yours. And you knew that this job was the big break you were looking for. Maybe not business wise, but it had brought closure to one part of your life and hope for the next.