Memories

Dean x Reader

Staring into the mirror, Dean frowned at the face staring back at him. It seemed like nothing more than a stranger staring back at him with lines etching into his face, a couple strands of gray in his hair. His eyes were red, the after effects of another sleepless night.

It shouldn't be this hard living without her by his side. It has been almost seven years since he had last held her, but he could still smell the subtle vanilla that she always seemed to smell like. He could still feel her cuddled in his arms each morning. But she was no longer there, and more often than not he felt like he wasn't there as well.

Sam helped him keep it together, always there to help when he needed it the most. Not sure where he would be without his brother, Dean knew he owed Sam so much.

"Daddy!" A little voice echoed through the hallway of the bunker, little footsteps loud on the tiled floor.

Stepping out of the bathroom, Dean leaned against the doorframe, watching as his eight year old daughter came skidding around the corner, a piece of paper held in her hands. "Daddy I found something!"

"Hey sweetheart. About ready for bed?" He asked as she stood in front of him. She had grown like a weed in the last couple of weeks, and he realized with a start that they would need to go shopping soon. Her jeans were almost capri's, the sleeves of her shirt reaching mid arm. His little girl was growing up too fast, and he wasn't' sure he cared for it.

"Daddy, look!" She insisted, shoving the picture in his face. Taking it from her, his face paled as he stared down at the long forgotten picture. It was a picture shortly after Lily was born. Sitting in front of the Impala, Dean held Lily in one arm, his other wrapped tightly around his wife. She was even more beautiful than he remembered, with her hair simply braided back, wearing one of his flannel shirts. She had always insisted that they were more comfortable than any of hers, preferring them to any other outfit. "Daddy, when was this taken?" Lily asked, breaking him from his memory.

"When we brought you home from the hospital," he whispered, his voice deep with emotion. "Come on, let's get you to bed."

Picking her up, he carried her over his shoulder, tucking the picture into his pocket. Tossing his girl onto her bed, he pulled the covers over her, ready to settle in for a bedtime story. As he reached for her favorite, she stopped him. "Can you tell me about Mommy instead?"

"Sure," he gulped. They hadn't talked about her much. It was as if Lily could feel his pain, but he knew it wasn't fair to her. "What do you want to know?"

"Tell me a story about her," she answered, pulling her favorite teddy bear into her arms. It had been her Mom's, before she had passed it down, and it still brought a pang to his heart to see it.

"Um, let's see," he stuttered. "Did I tell you how much you remind me of her?"

"No!" She exclaimed, her attention completely on him now.

"Not only with your hair color, and your nose, but the way you do some things as well."

"Like what?" She asked, hugging her bear tight.

"Like how you always stop to let the sun soak over you in the morning," he started to say. "Or the way you curl up in your chair to read. Or even the way you eat your cereal in the morning."

"Really?" She asked, and he nodded.

"You're so much like her, in so many ways. You have her big, loving heart."

Leaning down, he pressed a kiss to her temple, before standing up. "Now get some sleep sweetheart."

Crossing the room, he turned the light off, ready to step out of the room, when she spoke up, her voice small and tired. "I wish momma was here," she whispered.

With emotion clogging his throat, Dean took a moment to answer. "I do too sweetie. I do too."

Leaving her door slightly open, Dean hurried down the hallway, shutting his own door, leaning his forehead against it, letting the tears fall freely as he pulled the picture from his pocket. Wondering if missing her would ever get any easier.