Chapter One - Cassandra

Cassandra ~

My dress clung to me just enough to make me feel both uncomfortable and confident all at once as my driver rolled to a slow stop in front of the gala steps. The tight fabric strained against me as I climbed out of the town car, alone, with eyes burning through me as if I were a meal to be consumed.

Animals.

A masculine hand reached in and helped me out of the car, steadying me as if I needed his help to stand.

"Evening Mrs. Stone." The attendant greeted me, but the title made my stomach churn and the hairs on my neck stand on end.

Being married to Bennett Stone plucked me from my mediocre lifestyle at the young age of nineteen and plunged me into this lavish world where he was not only wealthy...he was king. Bennett wasn't simply obscenely wealthy, he was the gatekeeper to many millionaires who depended on his less than ethical business practices to maintain their wealth. It was a vicious empire and Bennett ruled all of it, creating a life for me that others could only dream of...but it was a nightmare - a seven year nightmare with the end in sight.

I walked up the steps of the gala as if I owned the place - and I did. Over the past seven years I had created quite the reputation for myself as Bennett's wife and had established my role as queen of the castle easily. It's not difficult really. In this world, if you act superior and treat others as if they owe you something just by breathing, they will show respect out of nothing but fear. Couple that with the fact that my husband lined everyone's pocket books and it made me untouchable, respected and feared.

An attendant took my coat from my shoulders, letting his eyes linger for a few seconds too long to be considered polite, which earned him an effortless wink from me as I shrugged out of the garment.

Such a bad boy. Keep your eyes to yourself or you might lose your job.

Making my way up the front steps I couldn't help but smile at the wandering eyes that were devouring me as I walked. Men wanted me, women wanted to be me - but the steel in my spine was earned through heartache and pain...pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies.

The fact was that while Bennett provided a luxurious lifestyle that left me wanting for nothing, he was a cruel man who cared about no one except himself. To think I used to view him as some sort of savior in my teenage years, rescuing me from my life as a cocktail waitress who catered to events just like this one.

I would serve the rich and elite, using my looks to get a few extra tips until Bennett set his sights on me and decided I was to be his. It was subtle at first, almost like a fairytale or a romance novel. A sweet cinderella story that warmed the hearts of the social circles that Bennett controlled, but only I knew who he truly was. He manipulated me through financial security and feigned affection up until our wedding night when he decided to show his true colors. I was nineteen, beaten and bruised in lingerie that he had forced me to wear, huddled in a pile on the shower floor wondering what I had done to deserve such treatment on my wedding night.

The abuse started off sporadically with grand apologies that kept me thinking he simply had a hot temper, but soon the apologies stopped and the abuse became the norm for my life. He'd beat me into submission then buy me clothes that covered his markings. But even when the expensive fabrics revealed his bruises, our friends and colleagues said nothing - did nothing. They were afraid of him and kept his atrocious secret, making sure I knew that none of them were going to help me. I was a prisoner.

"Bennett on his way?" A sickening voice asked.

I forced a smile and allowed the man to kiss the back of my hand, feeling like my skin might crawl off my bones at the sensation before speaking.

"He'll be joining us soon. You know how he loses track of time in the cigar lounge." I said in a sweet tone that made me want to vomit.

I hadn't lied, Bennett never arrived to events with me anymore. He was always too drunk to get himself together on time and spent his evenings sucking on cigars and chugging brandy until he was nearly too drunk to function. He'd then show up hours late and have to be carried out with only enough strength to beat me when he returned home.

My eyes wandered to the wait staff who were serving champagne flutes on trays and felt a pull toward the young naïve girls who were simply trying to make ends meet.

I see you queens. You deserve better than the animals who are groping you.

Bennett's colleagues quickly swarmed me, showering me with insincere compliments as they individually kissed my ass enough to make me have to physically restrain my eyes from rolling.

They pretended to care about my life and well being as if they weren't aware that I was married to a monster who beat me for fun. I forced a smile and engaged in their small talk sharing small details about my day, but I left out one small thing that was ever present in the forefront of my mind.

"Where is dear Bennett this evening? Still enjoying pre-dinner cocktails?" A woman asked in a fake high pitched voice that made my skin crawl.

Hopefully choking on his own vomit on the floor of our penthouse.

"You know how much he enjoys a few stiff drinks before an event." I said with a smile that concealed my absolute disgust for that man.

I hope he enjoys the splash of arsenic that I added to his evening brandy.

You see there was nothing out of the ordinary that night. That gala was just like all the others - heartless money hungry assholes who were trying to make nice with the King's queen in order to better serve their own self interests. Bennett was never there for these interactions and always arrived drunk and late. Tonight was no different except for the fact that he wouldn't be arriving at all.

My eyes flicked to an elaborate golden clock on the wall and I did some quick math in my head.

Dear Bennett should be taking his last breath as we speak.

I hope it's painful you fucking bastard and I hope my face is the last thing that crosses your sick mind before the light leaves your eyes.

"More champagne Mrs. Stone?" An attendant asked from beside me.

"Mmm yes please."

My heels clicked against the floor as I made my way to the grand balcony that overlooked the entire event, sipping my champagne with a sadistic grin lifting the corner of my mouth.

Poor poor Bennett...everything you've ever worked for. All of the horrible things you've done to create this empire...and it's all mine.

Several colleagues of Bennett's looked up at me, raising their glasses in a cheers motion in my direction like the spineless cowards they were.

You pretended like you couldn't see me when I was being abused and beaten by your fearless leader, but you're about to see me and I'm going to take everything from you. 

************