Chapter Seventy Five - Cassandra

Cassandra ~

It's amazing how quickly life can change. I went from married to a widow in a matter of hours and I had gone from in love and happy to beaten and miserable just as quickly.

By staring at the light that peeked around the curtains in Wade's room, I had been in his home for a little over forty eight hours.

As soon as the sedative had worn off I fought like hell. I screamed and thrashed, kicking and biting anyone and everyone who dared to touch me. I was like a rabid animal, but those actions came with heavy consequences.

The initial beating I had received from Wade's men was mild. Open handed slaps to the face and jabs to my abdomen to knock the wind out of me. Child's play compared to what came later. The second set of men who were tasked with transporting me from the car to Wade's room were not nearly as gentle. I thrashed in their arms and made their task difficult which they didn't appreciate in the least.

My split lip was nothing compared to the body blows that racked my ribs and back. They had beaten me into submission, reminding each other to avoid my face per Wade's request, but one of the assholes just couldn't help himself.

I had refused to eat or drink and the longer I laid there chained to that bed, the more I lost myself. The fight in my veins faded and I felt like I was sinking, falling deep within myself as an escape until nothing felt real.

The sound of the door opening perked my ears, but I didn't move or respond.

"You have to eat, Cassie." Wade pleaded in a voice that sounded concerned which was comical.

Wade sat at the edge of the bed, his weight causing the mattress to dip and give way to his weight. The sudden movement made me flinch and I squeezed my eyes closed, retreating inward.

"It doesn't have to be like this. If you'd just cooperate and submit, I would allow you to move around the house as you please...to treat it as your own home."

He's insane...certifiably insane.

Understanding that I wasn't going to respond to him or eat the food on the table, Wade sighed and stood, walking toward the door in defeat.

"What happened to you?" I asked in a raspy voice that I barely recognized.

"There were parts of you that were...decent and kind...what happened?" My voice cracked and I internally scolded myself for such weakness.

Wade stopped and returned to the side of the bed.

"Cassie I loved you and you rejected me." His words were cold and unhinged.

"Love? You think this is love?"

Wade looked away, clenching his jaw at my words.

"Look at me Wade. Look what your men have done to me. What you ordered them to do to me."

I watched Wade slowly survey my bruised body and split lip with a scowl on his face.

"I had hoped they would have been more gentle with you. I would have never..."

Unable to hide my disbelief at his words, I turned my head away from him, unable to look at him any longer.

"You don't love me Wade." I spat. "You don't know what love is."

Grabbing my chin harshly, Wade forced my head back toward him, hovering over me with anger in his eyes.

"You watch your mouth." He hissed at me.

He's always hated the way I talk back to him.

"It's true! You felt an emotion other than hatred and you confused it with love. But you don't know what love is because no ones ever loved you!" I screamed it and I meant it, feeling Wade dig his fingers into my jaw.