Chapter Eleven - Wade

Wade ~

I sat at a private table, mindlessly tracing the outer rim of my glass with my middle finger as my friends carried on conversations around me.

"Can I get you another drink?" A syrupy sweet feminine voice bounced off of my ears.

"I'm good." I muttered, holding up my glass as proof.

Normally I'd take full advantage of a doe eyed, full breasted waitress who seemed to be very interested in having my attention, but I wasn't in the mood to flirt. I wasn't even in the mood to fuck which was off brand for me.

It had been three days since I'd pitched my offer to Cassandra - three fucking days - but I hadn't heard a word from her, and it was driving me insane. I wasn't accustomed to waiting on women and I had expected a call from her within the hour that day, but got nothing instead.

I guess not hearing from her wasn't such a bad thing. It meant she was still mulling it over. She hadn't said no, which meant it was still a possibility, right? But what if her silence was a no?

My patience was running thin, but the fact was - I wanted her. I had wanted her for years and she was well worth the wait. There was something that only she could give me and I was obsessed and determined. 

Forced to be a silent admirer, I bit my tongue and watched her from afar only to be given a window of opportunity by her husband's untimely death. It couldn't have been by chance. This was fate and I had to seize my opportunity.

I eyed the crowd, letting my eyes sweep over the local talent. Usually all I needed to do was pick one, but for the past few months it wasn't that easy. No one compared to Cassandra. Even when I found myself settling for less suitable options, our time spent together was frustrating and unsatisfying. They weren't her.

My eyes locked onto a familiar blonde and followed her as she entered the bar area.

"Dibs." Cameron said from beside me.

Cameron had been my childhood friend since grade school, but there was no way I was going to let him scare that woman away. That was Lilly and she could be my in with Casandra.

"Not a chance in hell." I muttered. "Do you know who that is?" 

"Who gives a shit? She's a fucking smoke stack and I called dibs." Cameron countered, straightening his tie. 

Lilly was beautiful and turned a few heads as she walked in, but it was the tipsy woman trailing behind her that had my full attention.

There you are.

My spine straightened and all my senses seemed to come alive as Cassandra entered my line of sight.

The evolution of Cassandra's confidence was so intriguing to me. I had watched everything about her change. Bennett sucked the life from her and I watched a young vibrant Cassandra transform into a hollow shell of a person the longer she was with him. Her fiery spirit had been smothered over the years and it was painful for me to watch. She dissociated with the world and floated through it like a ghost, but not any more. Her confidence had returned with a vengeance and I saw it in her eyes the second Bennett's death had been announced. And now she spoke with a different tone, walked with lighter steps, and held her head high as if she had nothing to fear. And I couldn't keep my eyes off of her.

I wanted to go directly to her, but I restrained myself, watching intently with my scotch in hand.

She and Lilly walked in like they owned the place which was absurd of course, because I did.