Chapter Ninety One - Cassandra

Cassandra ~

My dress was tight and clung to me just enough to make the three men who surrounded me drool, which gave me all the confidence in the world.

Xavier helped me out of the car once we reached the lavish estate that was surrounded by countless armed guards in black suits. With his arm extended, Xavier took my hand as Raf scanned our surroundings, giving a nod of his head to the guards who worked for him.

"Do all these men answer to you?"

"Me and Xay." Raf answered without looking at me.

There were so many eyes on us as we approached the stone steps that led toward a venue that looked more like a palace. I could feel the tension radiating off of Cruz as he slowly slipped into character.

His words replayed in my mind as I watched his demeanor change. "I have to be a different person in front of the families. A person you might not like."

Cruz stopped in front of me, eyeing the front doors of the elaborate manor with a cold expression.

"You good little love?" He asked, looking back in my direction as he sent me a familiar grin.

"Never better." I had to sound just as confident and cold as the men around me.

Reaching back, Cruz took hold of my hand gently and led the way up the steps with Raf and Xavier on either side of me. The entire building seemed to take notice of us and I felt the smallest hint of nervousness start to churn in my gut. These people weren't sleazy business executives, they were mafia and in their eyes I was an intruder.

Whispers echoed around us as Cruz unapologetically held my hand, guiding me through the crowd in a show of dominance. I could feel the eyes burning through me as I deflected several disapproving glares and glances.

Xavier glared back at them on my behalf turning his body to shield me slightly as he placed his hand on the small of my back. Raf casually removed his jacket and slung it over his shoulder, leaving the leather holsters that housed a myriad of weapons perfectly on display.

Squaring my shoulders and holding my chin high, I focused on Cruz's back as he led me toward the large private table reserved for the Don and his family at the front of the ballroom.

"He probably won't speak to you." Cruz muttered once we reached the table.

I recalled our conversation in the car, remembering that Cruz had informed me of his fathers declining health - cancer that was slowly consuming his respiratory system one day at a time. In an effort to remain strong and respected in front of the families, Cruz's father spoke in short small sentences to try to avoid a coughing fit, that and he wasn't at all excited that I was in attendance that evening.

"That's fine with me." I reassured him.

Cruz was visibly irritated with the idea that I'd be ignored or shunned by his family and huffed out an angry breath as a waitress brought over glasses of champagne.

"Thank you." I said kindly to the waitress who was too afraid to make eye contact with Cruz, Xavier, or Raf. Her eyes never left the ground as my scowling doms took drinks from her tray, but it wasn't out of respect...she feared them... everyone in the room did.

"Where is he?" Cruz asked angrily.

"Craps tables in the next room." Raf answered, with his eyes scanning the crowd and every face in it.

A few people approached Cruz, engaging him in pointless conversation for no other reason than to kiss his ass. It was obvious by his tense posture and cold expression that Cruz was not enjoying himself.