Chapter Four - Cassandra

Cassandra ~

Later that night I walked into the Sky Lounge night club with my soul feeling lighter than it had in a very long time.

Eyes followed me as I walked off of the elevator, but I pretended not to notice, making my way to the bar for a dry martini that had been calling my name for hours.

"Didn't expect to see you out tonight." A deep voice said from behind me, pulling my attention over my shoulder.

Gabriel Maybrook, I should have known you'd been on the prowl tonight.

The circle of wealthy bachelors in Bennett's social circles wasn't very large and it didn't surprise me one bit that Gabriel was going to try his luck.

At thirty five you're nearly ten years older than me. You might want to consider someone closer to your age because I'm not interested. But for one night? Maybe. Let's see what kind of game you've got.

"No?" I asked with a smile as the female bartender returned with my drink.

For a few seconds Gabriel didn't exist and I turned my full attention to the beautiful woman who had just made my martini. I gave her a genuine smile, the first one I had managed to produce in days and thanked her for the drink. Slipping a hundred dollar bill in the palm of her hand, I shot her wink and a nod, letting her know I'd be paying top dollar for her services that evening.

You deserve that and more. Don't let any of these men mistreat you tonight.

"You going to get change for that?" Gabriel asked, reminding me that he was there.

"No." I said flatly, taking a sip with a cold expression.

"Quite an expensive drink." He scoffed in disbelief.

"I didn't pay for the drink. I paid for the service." I snapped.

I'm already sick of you Gabriel.

"It's a dry martini. Anyone could make that. Not to mention she fucked up and dropped a glass of champagne earlier. Glass everywhere." Gabriel was practically laughing at the bartender as he criticized her skill level.

"Did you need something or do you just walk around criticizing women to make your dick feel bigger?" I sassed, snapping his attention toward me as he straightened his posture a little.

"I uh...Jesus Cassandra, I was just joking." Gabriel huffed in disbelief of my words as he straightened his collar.

Not used to women calling you on your bullshit are you Gabe?

"You didn't answer my question." I said, resting my chin on my hand as I leaned against the bar, loving the way he squirmed at my words.

Gabriel scratched the back of his head and cleared his throat, trying to recenter and find the arrogance that he had at the beginning of his conversation.

Go ahead Gabe, I know you're flustered. I'll wait.

It was satisfying and comical to watch him shift his weight and process my words, trying to make his pea sized brain comprehend that I wasn't going to be one of those girls who threw herself at his feet.

"I just came to give you my condolences. You don't have to bite my fucking head off." He said, still flustered.

Uh oh, I think I may have bruised your little ego. Poor thing.

His words had me grinning ear to ear as I took another sip of my drink, but before I could deliver my witty rebuttal a deep voice echoed from behind me, so loud and abrupt it made me jump.