Chapter Twenty Nine - Wade

Wade ~

Elise Donnelly laughed loudly and placed her boney hand on my arm as she cackled, a gesture that I was only allowing due to my long standing business relationship with her husband. She was well into her seventies, but she flirted like a an unwed twenty year old.

She hosted many fundraisers for various charities, but it was really just an excuse to get dolled up and show off. The Donnelly's wanted attention and hosting black tie events was their way of staying relevant.

The art gallery that was being used as the venue wasn't unbearable, but the art that was scattered along the walls definitely wasn't my taste.

I gave a smile to Elise and excused myself to one of the bars, ordering a stiff drink that was much needed after being groped by Mrs. Donnelly for an hour.

"Make it a double." I muttered to the bartender who gave me a nod of his head in response.

"Wade my boy, I see you've escaped the tentacles of the sea witch." a loud voice boomed over my shoulder as a heavy hand landed and patted my shoulder.

A business rival of mine, but longtime friend of my father's stood behind me with a crooked smile on his face.

"Evening Jeffery." I said, unamused by his comment.

Jeffery was surrounded by a few of his close associates and it was obvious that he was cornering me to talk business.

"I hear you landed the Sunset high rise. I've been submitting offers on that property for years." Jeffery said with his tone lowering.

"What's your point? You here to congratulate me?" I asked, taking hold of my drink and sipping half the contents in one gulp.

Letting out a sadistic laugh, Jeffery shook his head and looked up at me with anger hidden behind his eyes.

"How'd you do it?" Jeffery hissed.

"Do what exactly?"

If you've got something to say, you better spit it out old man.

"How'd you break Cassandra Stone? Don't get me wrong, I admire you for it. That bitch has been a thorn in my side ever since she took control of Stone Enterprises, but I want to know how you did it."

The muscles in my back tensed and my jaw clenched at his words, but before I could put him in his place, his head swiveled, derailing my train of thought.

"Speak of the devil." Jeffery scoffed.

My eyes followed his gaze only to find Cassandra in a red dress that made my mouth water.

It's the same dress that I picked out for her, but in red

"Why don't you call her over and ask her yourself? You're awfully confident when she's not around." I said in a deep voice that was more of a dare than a suggestion.