Chapter Sixty Six - Cassandra

Cassandra ~

I'm not sure when I drifted off to sleep, but the sound of Xavier's voice resonated deep in my soul, forcing my eyes open as I laid in Raf's lap. He hadn't moved his hand from my hair and when Xavier entered the room and surveyed my bandaged feet, I saw a wave of anger wash over him.

Xavier's expression hardened into anger and he shot a look at Raf as if he was silently asking - did you do this?

"The hell happened to her feet?" Xavier muttered through his clenched jaw as he rushed over toward my elevated feet.

"It's not a big deal." I offered, sitting up and stretching, feeling Raf help push me to a seated position.

"Answer my question."

Xavier was angry and I understood why. He thought Raf had hurt me or that he'd allowed me to get hurt, but it had never crossed his mind that the cuts were self inflicted.

"It was my fault." I added quickly, feeling Raf tense beside me, clearly not appreciating Xavier's implied accusation.

"Uh oh." Cruz drawled from the doorway, leaning against the frame and crossing his arms over his chest with a grin on his face.

Dismissing him with an eye roll, I moved my feet and sat up, placing my feet on the ground out of Xavier's reach.

"I helped Raf move some things into the garage and I cut my feet on the gravel outside. It was my fault for not putting shoes on. See look I'm fine."

I rose to my feet, trying to put on a show of strength for Xavier to prove that I wasn't hurt, but the second I put pressure on the sutures I felt pain radiate from the back of my foot, up my ankle.

"Get off that stitch Cassie." Raf grumbled, taking hold of my arm to steady me.

"Stitch? You needed stitches?" Xavier growled.

"Just two. Calm down" Raf said, getting nothing except an intense glare from Xavier.

I pressed my hands softly against Xaviers firm chest and pushed him back, feeling his muscular body allow me to move it back a few steps.

Cupping his face I pulled his gaze down to me, breaking the hard glare that he was sending in Raf's direction.

"It was my fault." I said the words slowly, forcing eye contact as I spoke.

Xavier's shoulders were rising and falling as his adrenaline and anger started to subside, but I felt his muscles relax a fraction as I held his face. It was endearing and I loved that he was so protective of me.

"Well those big white bandages probably won't go with the dress we bought you." Cruz sneered from the doorway.

"You bought me a dress?"

My head excitedly whipped in Cruz's direction then back to Xavier for confirmation.

"We were going to take you out tonight." Xavier muttered, looking down at the gauze wrapped around my feet, still evaluating the severity of my injuries.

"I can still go out."

I nodded my head desperately, begging Xavier to take me out despite my injuries.

"Maybe tomorrow. Maybe." Xavier's voice was low and laced with a mixture of irritation and concern.

"Oh come on pleeease." I strung out the word as I begged, looking over at Cruz to advocate for me. If anyone would be supportive of a fun night out, I knew it would be Cruz.

His sly grin pulled the side of his mouth as he leaned against the door frame and he mouthed instructions to me.

"Be convincing." He mouthed, motioning with his head for me to show Xavier that I wasn't too injured to walk.