Chapter Twenty Three - Cassandra*

Cassandra ~

My legs felt heavy and my senses were fuzzy as I stood from Wade's lap and followed him toward the bedroom.

I was acutely aware of how intentional and attentive he was being, watching my feet as I walked, holding my wrist firmly as he led me out of the room, readying himself to help me walk in case my wobbly legs gave out.

The tiny voice inside my head that had been reminding me of Wade's cut throat nature and unethical business practices was slowly silenced the longer I was in Wade's presence. I had been warned by my dearest friends that Wade was a snake who could not be trusted, but there I was, trusting him with everything I had.

It was...freeing.

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. People who do business with Wade had never seen this side of him. The part of him that was fiercely protective and attentive.

They say those things about him because they don't really know him.

Having a bad reputation was a problem that I was well versed in, having a pretty venomous reputation myself. But that's not who I was. I had to be cold and cruel in order to survive and protect myself. But I was starting to realize that I didn't have to be that way with Wade, that letting my guard down around him felt good.

Feeling his eyes on me, I looked up at him, feeling emotions that I had never felt before. All of the anger, fear, and insecurities that Bennet had instilled in me dissolved into calmness and security around Wade and I was becoming addicted to the sensation.

I felt my comfort level rise as the evening went on, only to feel it suddenly plummet the second we entered the bedroom.

Holy shit.

My mouth went dry and my steps slowed as my eyes adjusted to the dimly lit room that was stocked with all sorts of toys and equipment. The assumption that he was going to simply fuck me on a plush comfy king sized bed was proven wrong in an instant, and I felt a deep blush dance across my cheeks and neck as my anxiety level rose.

Maybe I spoke too soon, could I really trust Wade in this room with all of these...things?

Picking up on my sudden spike of uneasiness, Wade led me inside the room and wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"Easy Duchess." He soothed against my hair.

My eyes scanned the room, sweeping over everything that was displayed on the shelves - whips, gags, harnesses, cuffs, vibrators and various toys and instruments that I didn't even have names for.

Taking hold of my hand, Wade led me to the shelves, leading me as I eyed the contents.

"I want you to choose your restraints." He instructed.

I glanced at the various types of cuffs made of all sorts of materials.

My hand moved, gliding over my options as I surveyed each one carefully. The first was lined with pink fuzzy feathers that were soft and dainty. I considered them briefly, but ultimately rejected them, moving my hand away.

"Way too delicate for my fierce little Duchess." Wade said in a low voice over my shoulder.

The leather cuffs caught my eye, drawing my hands near so I could explore them. I lifted them and inspected them, noticing the smirk that gathered in the corner of Wade's mouth.

"Careful, those have got internal spikes, here and here. Perfect for a little pain slut, but only if you can handle it."

Feeling curious, I placed my wrist inside the cuff, instantly noticing the sharp sting along the edges.