Chapter 2: Mistress

Of course she was also assigned prefect. Regulus observed as she sat down in the empty seat between him and Eliza Hoopkins. He consciously moved away from Rosalind so he was sat closer to the window and further away from her.

Eliza was smiling widely as she greeted Rosalind with a cheerful "Hello!" She only got an unsure and awkward nod back before Rosalind looked back at the head boy and girl.

Eliza was a blue eyed brunette. She was pretty, Regulus agreed with that. But she had too many happy emotions for him, plus, even though he never spoke or thought about it, he was engaged to Bulstrode and would be stuck with her for the rest of his life in a few years.

Rosalind was the opposite of Eliza, she always scowled and glared at people. He had never seen her smile, when he thought about it, the only emotion he had seen her express was anger.

Rosalind had been late to the meeting so they head girl gave her warning glare before continuing to talk about the upcoming year.

The head boy was a Hufflepuff and the head girl a Gryffindor, it had been a while since a Slytherin was head boy or girl and Regulus could come up with many former prefects who would have done excellent in that role.

They moved on to the patrol system, apparently they thought the old system was bad when you patrolled by yourself and decided to start with pairs.

Rosalind was partnered with Jack Marello, a Gryffindor. Regulus sneaked a look to see her expression. She took multiple deep breaths to calm down and Regulus had to laugh at that. "Can't control yourself, can you, Bulstrode?" he asked with a smirk. Everyone turned to look at him, except for Rosalind, she glared at him.

"Regulus Black and Eliza Hoopkins, you two are partners." Minou Skeva, the head girl announced. Regulus noticed how she smirked when she said so.

Unfortunately it was Rosalind's turn to laugh now. But Regulus didn't show any sign of disappointment of being partnered with Eliza, he just smirked at Rosalind, making her glare back at him before turning away. Whatever she did, Regulus always seemed to know what to do to push her bottoms.

Eliza smiled as she was partnered with Regulus, like she thought she was getting a new friend. She then looked at Rosalind to see if she showed any sign of discomfort of her being partnered with Regulus.

Pretty much everyone knew about their engagement, not necessarily the whole school but at least more than half of it. If Rosalind found who had told everyone she would go and hex that person into the next century.

They went on with the rest of the patrol partners and moved on to the days the students would be patrolling. Nothing more interesting was said and Regulus zoned out.

•*•

The train had slowed down at Hogsmeade station a couple hours later and Regulus walked towards the carriages with Evan and Barty. It seemed like the winter was coming early this year because it was already very chilly outside.

They sat down at the Slytherin table in the great hall, waiting for the first year students to arrive. They talked to a few people they didn't catch up with the on the train. Apparently the Yaxley siblings were going to get the mark soon.

Oliver Travers and William Mulciber had also found out about the prank the Gryffindors had played on them and had gone to hex them.

Regulus couldn't care more, they weren't even his friends. Let alone friends with each other. Slughorn had stopped them before it got too far and now they sat quietly in their seats. The first years soon entered the hall, Professor McGonagall was in the lead and they formed a half circle in front of the sorting hat that was placed on the same old stool.