Chapter 83: The Truth

14th June 1978
Evan was talking to Sophia in the common room. Rosalind played wizards chess with Lydia while Dorcas watched them, well she mostly watched Lydia. Pandora was sitting with Barty and Regulus while talking about something.

Rosalind could hear Evan and Sophia laughing hysterically from their place on the couch. Rosalind saw from the corner of her eye how William Mulciber was glaring at them. It seemed like he didn't like other blokes laughing with his girl.

Not that he and Sophia were actually dating but it was known that there was something going on between them. Mulciber did of course not know that Evan couldn't be any less interested in Sophia romantically, he didn't swing that way.

Rosalind noticed Regulus and Pandora leave for the boys' dormitories together and a knot tightened in her stomach. What was that about? Barty went up to Evan and tapped him on the shoulder.

"I win!" Lydia exclaimed and Rosalind turned her head back to the chess board. Dorcas gave Lydia a hug. Rosalind looked back and saw Sophia sitting alone on the couch. Evan and Barty had left. She saw Mulciber hurrying out of the common room as well. He seemed to be very agitated. This didn't deem to be good.

•*•

"It sucks we couldn't get the dormitory tonight." Evan said as he and Barty made their way to the boys' lavatories. Nobody went there past 8 o'clock and it was well past nine.

"It's not our fault Reggie and Pandora had secret business to discuss that we can't know about." Barty shrugged.

"You don't think they're screwing do you?" Barty asked. Evan shook his head. "I know Reggie like the back of my hand and Pandora a little bit, they're only friends, but they do spend a suspicious amount of time alone together."

Barty opened the door and they looked back over their shoulder to make sure nobody was there. They didn't see anyone and went into the bathroom.

It didn't take long before almost all clothes were off and they were deep in a snogging session. They were so caught up with each other that they didn't hear the door creak open and close.

Evan noticed something from the corner of his eye and jumped away from Barty. "MULCIBER?" he shouted in horror. This was not good. Not at all.

"I didn't know you were a faggot." Mulciber grinned. He watched in amusement as realisation dawned on Barty and Evan. "I was just following you to send the message to stay the fuck away from Sophia. But this is so much better."

"You won't say anything to anyone!" Barty yelled as he neared Mulciber. "Oh, but I will." he whispered. Evan felt his whole world fall apart. This was the end for him, when he comes home in a week, his father will be more furious than he ever has been. It won't be easy for Barty either, it's not like Bartemius Crouch Sr was a fan of the gays.

Barty had never seen Mulciber this happy and he hated it, he knew as soon as he leaves the lavatories everyone will know about his deepest secret. He will be ruined forever. He looked at Evan but he was only expressing anger.

"I DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND. YOU'RE NOT GONNA SAY A WORD ABOUT THIS!" Evan shouted. He couldn't imagine everyone finding out. He had taken a step towards Mulciber. But he wasn't intimidated at all.

"Get dressed faggots, before the whole school will see you for what freaks you are." he said as he spit at them. Not only was Mulciber the biggest dick ever, he was also the biggest homophobe. He was going to make life miserable for Barty and Evan.