Chapter 60: Little Women

TW death
I am very sorry

25th December 1977
Rosalind woke up on Christmas Day and decided to send out her gifts now. She had one for her brother, one for Sophia and one for Lydia. She wrote quick letters and sent away the gifts with an owl. Rosalind stretched and let out a yawn, she looked around in her room, she really needed to clean it.

Rosalind sat herself in front of her mirror and examined herself in it, an owl came and knocked at her window. She went to open it and immediately felt the cold air slap her in the face. As soon as the brown owl flew into her room she shut the window. On its leg it had a letter and a rectangular present tied to it. She gave the owl a treat before taking the letter and the present.

She opened the letter.

Dear Rosalind

Merry Christmas and Happy New year. I know you're probably wondering why I didn't show up last night. The truth is that I hate those fancy balls where you dress up and pretend to be somebody you're not.

Despite that, we will be at the New Year's Eve celebration next week. I am looking forward for you to meet Beatrice. She is really nice and very funny. I have a little gift to you as an apology for not being at the Flint Manor yesterday. I hope you like it. Beatrice helped me pick it out.

I hope you know you're welcome home anytime, just say the word and you can come home. I know you can't live here permanently. But I'm sure Walburga and Orion would let you stay here a night or two.

I'll see you soon.

Love Frederick

She eagerly opened the neatly wrapped present. It was a book. It wasn't a school book. It was a novel. She read the cover, Little Women.

Apparently it was about four sisters. She shrugged before crawling into her bed and she started to read the book immediately. As she read it she started to really like it.

Regulus woke up late with a pit in his stomach. Today was the day of his first mission. Perhaps he wouldn't be asked to do it? He went down the stairs and prepared a small breakfast for himself. He wondered where his parents were. He stood at the sink, drinking a glass of pumpkin juice with a bowl of cereal in his hand. He heard somebody descending the stairs, the old creaking sound reaching his ears.

He arched his neck, looking at the door frame waiting for somebody to walk into the kitchen. It was just Rosalind. She had her hair in a braid and was in her sweats. They didn't say anything and ate in silence. Regulus put away his dishes before going up to his room. He took out an astronomy book and sat down at his desk.

He couldn't read much before the mark on his arm started to hurt really bad. "For fucks sake." he muttered and clutched his arm in pain. "Mother of-" he said as it only got worse. "Regulus."

He looked up to see his cousin, Bellatrix. "It is time for your first real life experience." she said and smiled maniacally. Regulus felt the pit in his stomach grow. He was actually gonna do this. Belatrix reached out with her arm for Regulus to take. Unwillingly, he grabbed it and was taken to another manor in southern England.

He saw more and more death eaters appear around him. He looked to his left and saw Barty and Evan running to him. "We're here!" Evan grinned. Regulus was frozen, he couldn't move. He looked at the manor that was filled with life. It was decorated with a lot of colours and Christmas lights. He could see the big Christmas tree through the living room window. The people around him started to put on their masks. "Regulus, put on your mask before they see you." Evan or Barty said. He couldn't tell. Both were wearing the black masks.