Chapter 63: Harmless Flirting

10th January 1978
Barty sat in his normal spot at the Slytherin table with Regulus next to him and Evan opposite him. Regulus drank his large cup of hot chocolate that could never be healthy while reading a charms book. His locks were falling into his face every now and then which made him push them back behind his ears.

Although Regulus wasn't the one that had captured Barty's never ending attention. It was Evan. Barty watched as he put a croissant over his mouth, making a smiley face to him. He rolled his eyes and smiled as he looked down at his porridge. "You need some jam to sweeten that shit up." Evan said as he took a spoon of blueberry jam and dumped it on his porridge.

"Evan-" Barty started but cut himself off when he saw him already talking to Sophia next to him. She had her alchemy book in front of her and he was making fun of the subject. Barty knew he wasn't mean, he was just flirting. Sophia laughed and shook her head at Evan. Barty watched anxiously as Evan continued to flirt with Sophia.

Rosalind sat next to Sophia and looked weirdly at the two of them, she thought Sophia was interested in Mulciber. Perhaps she had a thing for both of them. Speaking of Mulciber, he sat a bit further away, but he had his fork pressed down on the table while glaring at Evan. Yaxley tried to joke about it with Mulciber but he wasn't having any of it.

Barty looked down at his porridge with the jam click on top. He put his spoon in it and started to eat it before he needed to drag himself to class. Regulus shut his book after some time and Barty followed him out of the great hall without saying anything to Evan. He didn't feel like talking to him after watching him flirt with Sophia.

Evan noticed his two mates leaving so he said goodbye to Sophia and her friends before catching up with them. Together they walked up all the stairs to the charms classroom. Evan joked about pushing somebody off the moving stairs as they waited for them to move. "I might push you off." Regulus said to Evan with a grin and then they started to walk up the stairs.

"No, you love me." he said and took a grip on Regulus' cheek like every grandmother does and smiled widely, showing off his perfect teeth. They walked into the charms classroom and sat down next to each other. They were early.

Regulus looked up the charm they were gonna learn today in the same charms book he had been buried in during breakfast. Evan started to talk to Barty like nothing, which it maybe was. That he flirted with Sophia was nothing, right? He didn't want people to know he was into blokes. It was just harmless flirting. Even though it was painful to watch, perhaps it was necessary.

Regulus looked up at the door as three laughing girls walked into the classroom, well two laughing girls and one with a straight face. Lydia was laughing uncontrollably and Sophia was giggling. Rosalind on the other hand was not, she was frowning at them as they sat down on the other side of the classroom. She caught Regulus staring and he immediately looked down at his book.

•*•

This day had been like every other day at Hogwarts. The classes were the same and the people were the same. Barty walked back to the common room after dinner with Evan and Regulus. They sat down in the common room and Evan started to play exploding snap with Barty at a table.

Regulus sat in a love seat with a textbook in his lap, it seemed like he had started on the essay Professor McGonagall had assigned. Barty was grinning widely because he was definitely winning. "Come on!" Evan exclaimed and threw his cards on the table. "This is not fair." he humphed and crossed his arms over his chest.

"STOP BEING A TOSSER!"

Barty and Evan looked curiously at Rosalind shouting at Regulus. They both wondered what had happened now. "YOU ARE THE ONE INTERRUPTING MY HOMEWORK!" Regulus shouted back at her and stood up.

They continued to shout for a while before Rosalind sat down in another love seat and ignored Regulus. He snorted and went back to writing his essay while shaking his head and tutted. It seemed to have annoyed Rosalind greatly because she left the common room. Barty and Evan started another round of exploding snap, which brought their attention away from Regulus.

They were unaware of Audrey sitting down next to Regulus. She started to flirt with him and was twirling a hair strand between her fingers.

After some time Barty needed to get to that essay that McGonagall had assigned them. It was not easy but he had to stop playing exploding snap with Evan. His dad would have his back if he knew Barty ditched schoolwork. Bartemius Crouch's biggest dream in life was for Barty Jr to work in the ministry just like he does.

Barty finished up his essay at the same time as curfew started, which meant that Regulus would leave to patrol with Rosalind now. Barty and Evan got up to their room and put away their things.

"Hey, Barty." Evan said which made Barty turn around and face him. Evan put his arms around Barty, embracing him. He gave him a long kiss. Evan pulled away from it and smiled widely. He caressed Barty's cheek. "I hate having to hide this." he muttered as he brushed Barty's hair away from his face.

"I know." Barty muttered and looked down at his feet. He wanted everyone to know that Evan was his boyfriend. Evan leaned in for a another kiss, Barty loved kissing Evan.

"But if anyone finds out we'll be ended. I know my parents won't be happy and I'm sure yours won't either." Evan sighed and sat down on his bed. Barty sat down next to him. "Yeah, nobody can find out." he muttered. His father would send him to Azkaban if he knew he was gay.

Barty didn't like having to hide Evan, he wanted to be able to show him off like everybody else could. "Let's cheer up a bit." Evan said and kissed Barty. They didn't leave Barty's bed for over an hour. However they knew Regulus would be back soon so they unwillingly let go of each other.

Evan went and took a shower and Barty proof read his essay. He didn't like transfiguration that much. The door opened and Regulus walked in. "Hello, Reggie." Barty said from his comfortable position on his bed.

He waited for Regulus to complain about Rosalind but he didn't, he seemed to be in a good mood. Evan walked out from the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his lower body. Barty had to physically stop himself from blushing.

"Your lips look a little chapped, mate." he remarked as he approached Regulus. "Have somebody been kissing a lot?" he continued to tease Regulus with a grin. "Haha, I know what you're doing." Regulus said and crossed his arms.

"What happened tonight then?" Barty asked. "Nothing, why would something have happened?" Regulus asked as he took off his shirt. "Let me put it simply, you're glowing." Evan said and gestured at Regulus with his hands.

"You're glowing too, Evan. But I don't assume that you're snogging Greengrass." Regulus said as he threw his shirt in the hamper. Evan stiffed up a little at that.

"Well, you're not in a bad mood which you usually are after seeing Rosalind. Which must mean something good happened. Like snogging." Barty explained as he stood up.

Regulus rolled his eyes, "I'm going to the loo."

He closed the door and Evan sat down on Barty's bed. Barty looked down at him, "I know why you're glowing." he said and grinned. "And it's not because of Greengrass."

"Yeah? Why am I glowing then?" Evan asked and dragged Barty down on his bed next to him. "Because of me." Barty stated proudly with his head high. Evan laughed at him before leaning in for a quick kiss. It was risky with Regulus in the loo but it was so much more exhilarating.