Chapter 70: The Truth

Update!!!

27th March 1978
A few weeks had past since Rosalind was out and played in the snow with her friends. And only a few days later, the snow had started to slowly melt away, Lydia said that they timed their last day out in the snow perfectly. It was still pretty cold, but thick boots, gloves and scarfs weren't necessary anymore.

Rosalind had gotten hooked up with a packet of cigarettes from a seventh year. Sure she did quit drinking, but an occasional cigarette wouldn't hurt her. She was also very tired of asking Black and his friends for one either way. She slipped into her converse and looked at her jacket but shrugged. She wouldn't need it. Rosalind left the common room with the pack safely secured in her pocket.

Regulus was waiting for her outside the portrait hole. Rosalind and Regulus started their patrol. They walked past the kitchen and up the stairs to the great hall. They continued past the courtyard ports and past the herbology green houses and the library. The library was dark and closed when Rosalind looked at it. They walked up the stairs to the transfiguration classroom but there weren't any students hiding there.

They walked back down and continued to the moving staircases. They walked past headmaster Dumbledore's office before they turned around and started walking back. They didn't hear any students at all. Rosalind didn't say anything to Regulus either. They asked some occasional questions but there was never a conversation.

Rosalind didn't want to have a whole conversation with Black, they didn't really have anything to talk about besides school. They walked past the doors out to the courtyard and Rosalind cast a glance at them. She suddenly stopped. Regulus turned to her and looked confused. "Did you hear anyone?" he asked.

Rosalind snapped her head at him. "No, just thinking." she said as she started to walk back to the doors. "Clever, could be somebody hiding out there." Regulus said as he followed after Rosalind. They walked out to the courtyard and Rosalind took a look around for any teachers before she whipped out her packet of cigarettes.

Regulus stared at her in disbelief, "Really?" he asked. Rosalind nodded as she lit herself a cigarette before she sat down on a bench. Regulus sat down next to her. Rosalind felt the wind blowing in her hair and suddenly she wished that she had taken that jacket with her.

She shivered as she ran one hand up and down the arm while the other held her cigarette. Regulus looked at her and rolled his eyes. Typical Rosalind not to bring a jacket. "I think I want to go down to the kitchen and get a cup of tea, it helps me sleep." Rosalind said as she looked out over the courtyard.

There was no snow covering it like it had been a few weeks ago. The trees and bushes had started to grow some leaves, but a lot of bushes had only twigs. It was dark outside, the only light were coming from a few lanterns that were hanging from the structure.

Regulus didn't answer anything to Rosalind's statement, he was looking up at the sky. "The house elves are quite nice too." Rosalind continued as she took a drag from her cigarette. Regulus looked at her as she ran her hand quicker and quicker up and down her arm.

He sighed before taking off his jumper. Rosalind eyed him wearily as he was handing his jumper to her. "It's cold. You can have my jumper." he said as Rosalind took his jumper. "Then you'll be cold." she said.

"I'll manage." Regulus answered. Rosalind rolled her eyes, he was wearing a thin t-shirt. He will come back crawling after his jumper in a few minutes. Rosalind gave Regulus her cigarette before she put on his jumper. Regulus took a drag from Rosalind's cigarette.

"Hey, it's my cigarette!" she exclaimed as she tried to reach for it. "Like I haven't given you any." Regulus muttered as he continued to smoke it. Rosalind rolled her eyes.