Chapter 81: Confessions

4th June 1978
It had been weeks since Barty and Evan broke up. It wasn't pretty, they never talked and they were fighting over Regulus constantly. Rosalind felt so bad for him, she couldn't imagine how hard it must be to choose between your friends.

She was walking to class with Barty. Evan had won Regulus over this morning. Regulus really was a child of divorce. Rosalind thought back to all the nice things Barty said about Evan during that astronomy lesson. She knew better than to bring up Evan, so she started a conversation about homework.

Lydia and Sophia were right behind them, gossiping. Rosalind also wanted to know but couldn't leave Barty outside of it. She couldn't imagine how lonely he must feel. Pandora ran up to them. Potion was on the schedule and they shared that class with her.

"Hello!" she smiled widely. She was such a positive person, Rosalind admired that. "Ready for potions?" she questioned. "Hell no." Rosalind answered and snorted. Barty shrugged, "Could've been more prepared."

Today wasn't a practical lesson like usual, they had a written test. Rosalind knew she was gonna fail. Luckily she didn't have any parents to scold her whenever she did bad in school.

They entered the classroom to see that all the desks had been moved. There was no paired seating anymore, all the desks were standing alone. Rosalind took a seat and tried to keep all the information in her head. She looked around the classroom. Some students were very visibly stressed. Others were as cool as a bee. Rosalind was just as stressed as the ones that hadn't studied at all.

Regulus seemed to be confident in himself, he was twirling his quill around between his fingers. Rosalind admired him for a while before she snapped out of it. Barty seemed to be sleeping. His eyes were closed and his head was lying on his desk.

Evan was staring up at the ceiling while tapping his foot restlessly against the floor. Sophia was whispering to another student nearby. Rosalind suspected gossip, she wondered what. However she knew she would found out as soon as they exit the classroom. Sophia couldn't keep secrets, especially when they involved gossip.

Lydia was talking to Pandora, Rosalind wondered what about. Perhaps about the test or something else barely interesting. It didn't seem to be a very interesting topic. Their faces were expressionless.

Then the test began, Rosalind wanted to unalive herself. She knew barely nothing. She tried really hard to remember everything she had studied for. She had studied this time. But her mind was blank.

She could answer some questions with hesitation but she left many questions unanswered. Why did it have to be so hard?

She was one of the last students to turn the paper in. All of her friends were done many minutes ago. The only ones left were two hufflepuffs that Rosalind knew was cheating, she could see it. She wondered how daft Slughorn was to not have noticed it, it was very obvious.

Then there were another Slytherin student and a Ravenclaw that was writing for her life, Rosalind wouldn't be surprised if she started to write on the desk because she ran out of room on the paper.

•*•

May 29th 1978
"Bulstrode!" Regulus exclaimed.

Rosalind looked up, she knew what he was going to ask. "What did you get?" he asked. She sighed, she didn't get a grade she could brag about. She had failed. A big ass 'P' was written on her paper.

P for poor. Regulus laughed at her. Why did potions have to be such a hard subject. Couldn't it be easier? "Let me guess, another outstanding for Regulus Black?" Rosalind asked.