Chapter 29: 'O for Outstanding'

29th March 1977
A month had passed since Monica and Charles Bulstrode passed away from Dragon pox. Rosalind was still devastated. Monica and Charles might not have been the most loving parents but they were still her parents and they were gone so fast, Rosalind would never have expected it. They never showed signs of illness. They had been pretty normal for their age.

Rosalind spent the days dragging herself through the classes and the nights and afternoons laying in their dark dormitory doing absolutely nothing. Sophia read to her and told her about everything going on, to keep Rosalind updated and remind her of the life she was missing out on.

Sophia had never seen Rosalind this bad, she barely ate, barely slept and barely talked. Because when Rosalind was present, she wasn't really present. Her mind was elsewhere. She could be in a room full of people, without making any contact with a person. She would stand perfectly still, zoned out. Even if people tried to talk to her, she wouldn't respond.

Even Regulus had not made fun of or annoyed her once since their death. It only made her frustrated but she was too mentally tired to do anything about it. But she was mad at him, Regulus didn't get to treat her any differently just because her parents died.

If anyone, he was the person she counted on would never change the way he behaved around her.

Rosalind was slowly walking to transfiguration, Sophia had been very patient with her the last month and Rosalind was extremely thankful. She didn't know how to ever repay her.

Rosalind wasn't really excited for the day (she never was anymore) however she sat down in her seat next to Regulus. "Hello." he greeted her, but he didn't look up from his book. Rosalind hated him, he was being nice to her, trying so hard to not do anything mean or slightly rude.

Rosalind looked at McGonagall in cat form, she was waiting for the rest of students to arrive. Then Rosalind noticed the stack of papers next to the cat.

The test.

A few days ago they had a test which Rosalind had actually studied for. Well, Sophia had read the book for her over and over again so she would understand it and do well on the test.

That was what Sophia had done whenever they had other tests too. The teacher's had let Rosalind be and not been so hard on her with homework. But they couldn't let a test slide, they needed something to grade her on.

The cat on the desk transformed into Professor McGonagall. The stern looking woman watched as the last student arrived before she proceeded to give out the tests with the results on. Regulus and Rosalind sat in the first row and were one of the first to recive their results.

Rosalind smiled a little when she saw the big O on her paper.

O for outstanding.

She looked over at Regulus' paper and when she saw the E (for exceed expectations) she couldn't help but smile even bigger.

"You suck, Black." she stated with the big smile on her face. She had done better than Regulus. This test proved that she had done at least something right in her life, she got a better score, she was smarter!

"Hey, listen everyone!" she exclaimed and turned around to the class. Everyone including McGonagall whom was still giving back the tests, looked her way. "Regulus sucks so bad! I got a better grade than him!" she exclaimed happily. She showed the two papers for everyone to see the results.

Sophia smiled at her friend, she was finally back to normal. That was maybe a bit exaggerated. But Rosalind just spoke more words in a minute than she normally did in an entire week.

"It's one test, Bulstrode. It can't prove that you're better than me, because your not." Regulus sighed and snatched back his test.

"You're still the suckiest person alive." Rosalind replied in a sing song voice.