Chapter 7: A Quill

5th October 1976
Regulus sat at one of the desks in the Transfiguration classroom. He rolled his eyes as he saw Rosalind walk into the classroom and sit in her assigned seat, next to him. It didn't help that on Tuesdays they had a double period in transfiguration.

Rosalind was not happy with McGonagall this year. It was enough that she and Regulus always competed in her lessons now they had to work together and sit next to each other.

Rosalind looked helplessly over at Sophia who shrugged her shoulders from her seat next to a Gryffindor. McGonagall then shortly started the lesson. It simply consisted of writing an essay about animal transfiguration.

"Shoot." Rosalind muttered under her breath when she realised that she had forgotten her quill. She glanced over at Regulus who placed his quill on the desk while taking up a book from his bag.

He then looked back and noticed that the quill was gone and he started to search his desk, moving papers and books while Rosalind wrote on her essay, smirking. But when he looked over at her, he noticed the quill in her hand and tried to take it back. But Rosalind moved away her hand before he could reach her.

"It's mine now." she smirked, holding up the quill.

"No, it's mine. Give it back you worthless piece of shit!" he exclaimed, leaning forward. Rosalind smirked even more as she said, "It's not my fault your brother left you, take your anger out on somebody else."

"GIVE ME MY QUILL, YOU WHORE!"

If the whole class wasn't looking at them before, they surely did now.

"Quiet!" McGonagall shouted. They looked up the see everyone staring at them and McGonagall glaring at them. "Twenty points from Slytherin for disturbing the lesson."

Rosalind groaned and hit her head on the desk in front of her. "It's your fault." Regulus muttered. In one second she had snapped her head to look back at him but he wasn't paying her any attention. So she sighed and banged her head back on the desk.

After class she and Sophia had walked to the great hall for lunch. "What did you and Black fight about this time." Sophia asked with an amused smile.

"Nothing." Rosalind sighed.  

"Like usual." replied Sophia in a singsong voice.

"I was just bored, and I've kinda taken a liking to argue with him. It's funny to see him get worked up, you know." Rosalind said, trying to prove a nonexistent point.

"So you like him now?" Sophia said as her smile turned into a smirk.

"What, no of course not. He is the most arrogant and annoying person I have ever met. He is an awful human being if he even is one, he somehow walks on my nerves every day and when he decides to annoy the shit out of me, I wanna slap the bloke across his stupid face." she said as her blood begin to boil, she got mad just talking about him. "No scratch that, I wanna drown him in the black lake."

"Passionate."

"I know, right?" Rosalind said as she turned to Sophia. "So how are things with Mulciber?"

"Don't let me get started. When Christmas break rolls around, my family will be having a lot of meal sharing with the Mulcibers. I won't get any privacy at all." she sighed as they sat down at the table.

"Well at least you get along with him." Rosalind shrugged.

As if he had heard their conversation, William walked up to them and leaned against the table. "Hello, Greengrass." he smirked.

"Mulciber." Sophia answered back with a grin making Rosalind fake puke and leave them. She sat down with Oliver and Alexander instead.

"What do you guys have next?" she asked mindlessly.

"Divination." Alexander replied.

"Charms." Oliver answered.

"We have charms together, right?" Rosalind asked as she looked over at Oliver. His hair was very fluffy today and his freckles very visible.

"Yeah." he nodded as he grinned at her.

•*•

Regulus sat in charms class, listening to Flitwick talk. Flitwick stood on a stack of books and Regulus followed and wrote neat notes on a piece of paper. Barty was copying his notes in a slightly more messy handwriting.

He heard some whispers coming from the left side of the classroom. So he looked up and saw Rosalind and Oliver talking. They were not taking notes which surprised him since Rosalind always did everything to be better than him. He should be happy that she made it easier for him.

But he started to grip his quill harder and it made a hole in the paper. Since Barty copied his notes, he noticed the hole in the paper and he looked up to see Regulus glaring across the classroom.

"Since when did you like Rosalind?" he asked as he looked at her.

"What?"

"I just didn't know you liked Rosalind." he shrugged.

"I don't." Regulus replied bitterly as he continued to take notes.

"Why are you so irritated watching her and Travers flirting then?" Barty asked him and raised an eyebrow. "Is it Travers you're interested in?"

"I'm not irritated and no, both of them are quite annoying." Regulus replied.

"Why do you care about them then." Barty retorted as he copied Regulus' new notes.

"Just mind your own damn business, mate." Regulus snapped, but not loud enough for the class too hear.

"No need to get feisty, Black."

Later that day, Rosalind sat in the common room, doing her transfiguration homework. She was scribbling so fast and intense that nobody wanted to disturb her. But Regulus didn't care and sat down in front of her. "Hey." he said, getting no response. Rosalind continued to scribble on her homework.

"Bulstrode?" he asked, louder this time.

"You're talking to me?" she asked as she looked up from her paper with a frown. "Figured you would be invested in somebody more, I want to say whore-like." she added with a smirk.

"So you would be the perfect person if that was my intentions."

Rosalind put down her quill on her essay an sighed, "What do you want?" she asked as she dragged a hand through her hair, a habit she had started to do a little bit too often.

"A little bird told me that you think that anyone could catch the golden snitch easily, even yourself."

"Yeah, I still believe that I can." she stated. She got back to her homework but she felt Reglus' presence closer to her. She looked up to see his face inches from her, he raised an eyebrow and asked, "How about a little bet?"