Chapter 24: Caregiver

Dixie's POV:
"I'm so sorry we came so unannounced, but I needed to see Noah." I looked at Mama Beck in shock, not expecting to see her when I opened the door. "Don't worry, your always welcome." I smiled politely at them, signaling for them to come inside.

They must be feeling so much pain, especially Mama Beck. She just lost the love of her life, I couldn't imagine how that would feel. "Where's Noah?" Tatum walked in behind Mama Beck. I now realize that me being in his apartment while he's not here might be a tad bit weird.

"Oh my god sorry. He's actually at work right now, but he should be back in about an hour or so." I mentally hit myself, not realizing that the one person they came to see wasn't even there.

"That's okay sweetie, I love seeing you. How are you? I know things weren't exactly amazing the last time we saw each other." I was reminded of what had happened the last time I was in her house. Embarrassment rushed through me as I remember how I had acted that day.

"I'm good. Me and Noah are better than ever. But I think that's a question I should be asking you. How are you?" I closed the door after they had walked in completely. I know I wasn't exactly the person they were hoping to talk to, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try to hell them heal.

"As good as I can be right now. Things happen, that's just life. It's my heart that's experiencing more than me." Her words were weirdly very therapeutic. In some way I knew how she felt.

"I could only imagine." I took in a deep breath. "Well how about you guys get settled, I was about to whip up some lunch." I smiled while walking over to the fridge. I wasn't planning on it actually. But the least I could do was prepare a good meal after they had been driving for so many hours.

"Thank you honey, we'll be out shortly." She flashed me a quick smile before grabbing her bags and walking to the bedroom with Tatum by her side. I had just started making something when Tatum came outside. "How's Noah." I could tell she was concerned for her brother, and I couldn't blame her.

"He's doing good. He's strong, but I know that eventually he'll break down." She nodded her head slightly, most likely not even noticing that I saw her. "Look I know what happened. And I know the relationship he had with your dad. He told me."

She looked at me now with a shocked expression on her face. "He doesn't tell that to everyone. Your very special." I smiled at the word 'special'. It was good to know he trusted me with something like that.

"Yeah I know, I'm a very lucky girl." She sat down in the chair by the island, right in first of where I was standing. "He's lucky to have you. I can tell you care for him." Her smile was genuine, and so was mine.

"I do, more than anything. I love your brother." She smiled and told me I was a simp. Which I couldn't exactly deny. I loved him with every piece of my heart. Living wasn't worth it if I wasn't with him.

"How are you doing?" I asked her after taking about Noah some more. If I could help her in any way, I would try. She's kind of like a sister I never had, and I truly do care for her. Just like I care for mama Beck, truly.

She sighed before speaking. "Not good. And not necessarily because of my fathers death. But because of my mother, and Noah. Me and my father were never really close, yes he had respect for me, and he treated me way better than Noah, but I never looked at him like a father. It just sucks seeing my mother go through so much pain, even if she denies it."