Chapter 27: Reunite

Dixie's POV:
I don't talk about my dad often. He's a memory that only becomes more painful the more I think about. When I was little, my father wanted to get away from my mother. She was a drunky, and she was only destroying herself more by the day.

He tried to help her, but she was too far gone. He wanted to take me with him when he left. He wanted to leave our mother, so that I could have a better life, and so that he could give it to me. Unfortunately for us, when she figured out what he was planning she took it to court.

She had told everyone he was an abusive father, to both her and I. I tried to stand up for my dad, but no one was trying to listen to the 5 year old. My mother got full custody of me, and my father had his right to see me taken away.

He had to leave, and I couldn't go with him. I remember spending so many nights in my room, crying wondering what I did to deserve what I was going through. I held onto my memories with my dad because it was the only thing keeping me going through the days.

I lost myself at such a young age, and even now sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if I got to go with my dad. If I had gotten away from my mother. I used to ask myself if I would change everything to go with him that day.

And when I was younger, my answer was always yes. I would've given everything to have been able to run away with my father and live the best, happy life. Now, I look back at everything, and I'm thankful for everything that I've had to go through. It made me the woman I am today.

I met Noah, and now I am the happiest I could have ever been. But despite that, there are days that I think about my dad. Days that I wish I could see him again, even if it were just for one day. I want to see that intoxicating smile of his, that he have me.

To be able to hear him say how much he loves me. He used to call me his home, because no matter how small I was, I gave him everything he needed. Sometimes I sit and imagine we're talking again, and he's saying those same things.

I pretend that I'm that little girl in his hands. That innocent little girl who had no idea what was coming for her. And for a quarter of a second, I feel whole again. I can't think of al those painful and traumatizing memories. I can only think of the wholesome ones, which I cherish with everything I have in me.

So when I saw my father standing in front of my new apartment, you could only imagine what was going through my head. "D-dad." Noah stood behind me, just as speechless as I was. I had told him about my father, but with that we both definitely not expecting to show up out of nowhere.

"I missed you s-so much." He didn't say anything, but when he walked closer and wrapped his hands around me I knew I wasn't dreaming. "I missed you too baby. My little girl is all grown up now." Tears were escaping my eyes like a waterfall but I didn't have it in me to care.

"Wh- bu- how?" My voice was shaky, and I obviously couldn't think clearly. "When I heard about you moving, I knew I had to come see you. I missed my little girl. My home." A smile spread across my face when I heard him call me that. It brought back all the good times I've ever had during my childhood.

"You remembered me?" I knew It was a stupid question, but when you go so long without seeing someone, everything is possible. "You were the only thing keeping me going all these years. " He smiled sweetly as we separated. His eyes landed on the man behind me, and I finally snapped out of my trance, walking over to Noah.