Goodbyes || .023

Moscow was slipping away slowly. He had been hit three times in very serious areas, and as much as they were trying to slow the bleeding, there wasn't much they could do. Denver hadn't came up from the tunnel for even a second. He was going to get them out of there. He was determined to get his father out of their alive. Ava was trying her best to think positively, but her thoughts kept faltering and she was left thinking of nothing but negative. It didn't look good. The areas that were hit were serious and in order to live from three bullets like those, he'd have to have surgery. She was skilled in some ways, but she had limited equipment, and she was fearful that this was a bit out of her hands. She had been in the medical field for a little over ten years, and being a trauma nurse she saw a lot of gunshot words. If there was more than one then the chances of survival were slim to none. Three bullet wounds in the abdomen area usually meant that there was no chance of survival. He needed a hospital with the proper tools and medication instead he was being watched by a group of criminals. Criminals that learned to love and care about Moscow like he was their own father. Ava was tending to Phoenix's wound on his arm. He had been shot twice inside of the Mint, both in the same arm. His arm was lucky to have any feeling at all through it, but he said confidently that he could move it just fine. The wincing and huffs showed how bad it did actually hurt. He could barely lift the gun he had previously so he switched with Ava. Ava gave him her small handgun and she got the machine gun. Phoenix stood up from the chair, being careful with his wrapped up arm.

        "You need to take it easy." Ava commented, watching him. She reach a hand out to touch his lower back, her eyes running up to watch him carefully. She was clearly worried about him. She cared about him, even if their long engagement was off because of infidelity.

         "I'll be fine." Phoenix replied. He was sure that he was going to be fine, but he couldn't just sit there and wait for Denver to open up the tunnel. Moscow was dying now and as much as he hated to admit it, he needed a doctor himself too. His arm was going to need some saving. "I need to help. We all need to help. " Ava stared at him with big eyes full of worry. She nodded her head shortly. She knew that he was right, even if she didn't want to hear it. They were getting out of there today, and they needed that tunnel to be finished. Ava stood up from the chair, and Phoenix turned to walk out of the room.

      "Martin," Ava called out his real name. Phoenix stopped in his tracks and turned to look at her. For a moment he closed his eyes, wishing that when he opened them they'd be back in their apartment bedroom and this would be nothing more than a dream. Berlin wouldn't be in their lives, and even if they lived paycheck to paycheck, he still had her. He wouldn't have lost her to a man that he knew he could never truly measure up to. "I love you. Be careful." She spoke the words very softly, and she offered him a smile. It wasn't a lie. She did love him. She spent years with the man. Although he could never measure up to Andres in the eyes of Ava, she loved him still. It was just never going to be the same amount of love. Martin stared back at her, his eyes almost sad. He nodded his head slowly.

        "I love you, Ava." He walked out of the room, and just as he was about to round the corner, Berlin came into view. He offered Ava a smile, even if his own fear was finally showing. He walked into the room, not taking his eyes off of her.

"We're leaving tonight, yeah?" Ava questioned as she cocked an eyebrow up curiously. Berlin nodded his head slowly. He stopped walking when he was directly in front of her. He brought a hand out to hold her, wrapping it around her lower back.

       "Denver hasn't stopped digging. Tokyo and Rio have been helping. Nairobi almost has all of the money processed." Berlin told her. "We're getting out of here tonight." Ava grinned ear to ear.

        "So then what? What comes after?" Ava wanted to hear something in particular, and Berlin knew that very well. Berlin chuckled and leaned in closer to her. He pecked her lips softly.

          "I say," he started, "we settle down on a beach somewhere, have about five kids, and we live every day like we should've our whole lives."

          "Kids?" Ava cocked an eyebrow playfully. "We'll have to be married for that."

           "Ahh, yes." Berlin agreed. "That was already in my plans." Ava, for the first time in the whole heist, felt completely at peace. He was able to calm her in ways that nobody else could. She leaned up because he was quite a bit taller than her and she kissed his lips, this time with a bit more passion. She brought a hand up to snake around his neck, tangling into his hair just a little. The kiss lasted only a minute, but it was romantic and warm. They kept each other in an embrace for another few minutes, wrapped up in each other's comfort.

             Monica had convinced him. Finally Denver was out of the tunnel. He was a blubbering mess, tears in his eyes as he watched his father lay on that bed. He was gone as quick as he said his goodbyes to his son. Denver was broken, crying and sobbing into his dead father's chest. Ava watched from a distance, letting Monica do most of the comforting. They had all said their goodbyes to Moscow, even Ava. She talked to him alone, and finally she realized that she was a part of the gang. It didn't matter her differences because at the end of the day, she'd die for them and she knew they'd do the same for her.

         "Watch over him, please." Moscow begged Ava to keep an eye out on Denver, and she'd make sure that he was safe. It didn't matter if they got out of there and went their separate ways. Denver was going to be safe because Ava owed it to him. She promised his father to watch over him and that's exactly what she was going to do.

         "Of course." Ava's eyes were soaked with tears as she said this. "Thank you Moscow." She said. "For letting me know an amazing man like you." This was just an hour before and now he was dead. There was no saving him and hopes for a recovery. He was completely gone. She watched as Berlin and Helsinki slowly moved him, making sure to be careful. "Professor?" Ava had called him to make the report. It was almost as if he knew what she was going to say. He didn't speak on the other end, but Ava could hear his breathing still. "He's gone." She affirmed it. They had lost Oslo and now they were losing Moscow. She couldn't handle losing anyone else. She wouldn't allow anyone else to die, even if it meant she had to risk her own life to make sure of it.