Dysfunctional Family || .040

Hours passed and there was still no contact with the Professor. Ava was convinced he was captured. She couldn't get herself to settle. Her head was throbbing, her stomach was turning, and she was feeling incredibly nauseous. She stood at the window, watching out of it. She already knew they were going to enter. It was only a matter of hours at this point. Ava was biting nervously at her fingernails. She took a deep breath, trying to calm. She made plans for Andres, her son, if something did end up happening to her. Berlin was plan b. Then, of course, Sergio was the next plan. If none of them were able to make it out and back to the boy, she had a family lined up, ready to care for him. She just didn't want that, even if it was selfish. She wanted to be home with him. She wanted to see her little boy grow into a man.

           "He's going to get back to us." Tokyo said. She was still convinced that the Professor was going to help them, and a part of Ava was as well. But the other part, the really scared part, already thought that hope was lost. There was no getting Rio back if they were in chains, or worse, with a bullet in their head.

             "Yeah," Ava replied to her, nodding her head mostly to convince herself. She didn't look away from the police that were outside of the building. They would try to sneak in, and they'd probably succeed, but they were planning on shooting back. Although Ava wanted to be with Tokyo like she said she was, if they shot at one of them, Ava would pick up a weapon. Tokyo could hear the uncertainty in her voice. Berlin had his eyes locked at Ava. He was sipping at a cup of coffee in the corner. He wanted to be there for her. He wanted to comfort her, to make her feel safe, but she had just slept with his brother days ago. It was hard to look at her without wondering how Sergio looked at her. He knew he wouldn't be able to touch her. To touch the same skin that Sergio was. Ava noticed him looking when she finally glanced away from the window and Berlin just lowered his eyes. It wasn't like he was trying to hide looking at her. He just couldn't look her in her eyes. It was so much harder to avoid her then.

              "Are you ready?" Nairobi questioned, stepping over towards Ava. Ava glanced at her and she couldn't help but cock an eyebrow.

           "Are you?" She asked back.

          "As ready as I'll ever be." She answered her honestly. She loaded the clip to her weapon, and then offered Ava a smile. Nairobi, Tokyo, and Ava were close back at the Mint, but the last few months they'd really grown closer. They were able to see them for who they really are, not just heist members. They were all now family. They went through so much together, and Ava really would die for any of them.

          "Berlin," The radio sounded off and the Professor's voice was heard. All attention went straight to the radio. He was alive. He was fine it seemed. They wanted to question it, but they didn't have a lot of time, so they'd save the questions for later. Since it was closest to Ava, she called back to him. Everyone in the room had hurried by the radio, surrounding it.

         "Professor?" She called back to him.

          The Professor noticed it was Ava that had answered the radio, but he couldn't be picky right now, even with Raquel standing right beside him. If they didn't act within the next few minutes, they'd all be captured and this would've all been for nothing. "They're pumping in gas." He informed them. Ava shared a look with Nairobi and Nairobi nodded her head. She rolled on her heel and hurried out of the room with Bogota as if she could read her mind. They had gas masks, just for this occasion but they'd have to grab them quickly. "I have a plan." He spoke. Ava let out a sigh of relief and she handed over the radio to Berlin, stepping to the side just a little. She was still listening, but she kept her distance. Berlin was talking to Sergio normally, but it was because of the crisis. As much as he was angry, he didn't want to be caught either. He'd gone through that road before with his son and his last wife, and he let himself be captured because of a broken heart. This time, he had to think about his son that he barely knew yet. He wanted to know him. He wanted a relationship with him. He wanted to do things right this time, and he was going to. He was going to get out of there to be there for him.