Frustration .030

Berlin was staring at the toddler, hard. He was staring with cold, dark eyes. He looked from the baby to Ava and then to Sergio. Ava didn't want him to figure out like this and she definitely didn't want it to be this soon. Sergio took the little boy from Ava, patting his back gently. It was getting late in the day, so they'd have to put him to sleep soon. Usually, he had a set bedtime and this heist had already shifted their routine up a bit too much. 

          "Who's this?" Berlin asked, trying to be gentle with his wording. His mind went to it being Ava and Sergio's, especially with the way Sergio was handling the boy. He seemed so comfortable with him. 

           "My son." Ava spoke, her eyes shifting to Sergio for a moment. She finally looked back at Berlin. He was biting his tongue, trying not to speak until he calmed himself down. He was about to snap. His mind was playing games with him. The same way his mind played with him when he saw them outside that night. He let his pride get the best of him and he lost out of two years with his child because of it. 

          "I'm going to go lay him down." Sergio said. He knew they'd need to talk about this, and it wasn't the best to do it right in front of the boy. Sergio wanted them to have the privacy that they deserved, even if he did long to hear what was being said. He knew it really just wasn't his business. 

          "Thank you." Ava leaned forward, pecking the boy's cheek. Sergio and Berlin both watched her as she did this, but they were thinking completely different things. Sergio, for one, kept remembering her kissing him, and Berlin was thinking only the worst things possible. His mind always ran to the worst-case sceneries. "Goodnight, baby." She offered her son a smile, running her fingers through his hair quickly. She pulled off of him as Sergio pulled away. She watched him as he walked off with him towards her bedroom. It was right across from Sergio's room purposely. 

        "Your son?" Berlin questioned it as soon as Sergio was in the other room. 

        "Yeah." Ava nodded her head and finally forced herself to look at him. The whole time, she prayed and prayed that he was alive and now here he was, standing right in front of her. He looked the same, talked the same. He was the same person, but she wasn't. She wasn't because of him. Because she had to go through losing him. "Maybe we should talk about this outside. Or somewhere, private." Her eyes averted around the hallway that they were in. Anyone could hear them and oddly, the home went quiet. It was almost as if they were trying to listen. Berlin furrowed his eyebrows. He was worried now, clearly. He didn't know why it had to be said privately. 

        "How old is he?" He questioned. Ava stared at him, quiet for a bit too long. "How old is he?" He repeated the question, but this time he let his anger show. 

        "He's about to turn two." She answered him. She knitted her fingers together, trying to distract herself the best she could. She couldn't focus only on this conversation. It was already giving her a headache. Berlin was now even more confused. He wasn't expecting her answer.

        "Is he my son?" Berlin asked the question. Ava stared at him for a moment in silence. She let out a sigh and nodded her head. She hated that she had to tell him like this. Just days before, she was planning on searching for more information on Berlin. She just needed to know if he was alive. Well, she got her answer. But it wasn't what she was expecting. She didn't expect to find him relaxing with his friend while she cared for their child. 

         "Yes." She replied. Berlin took a deep breath, his eyes widening a little. He covered his face with his shaky hands, trying his best to calm himself down. Ava just stared at him. She was trying to let him handle it however he needed to. 

        "Can I meet him?" He asked when his hands were dropped back down to his sides. Ava shook her head. 

          "It's a little late. Morning would work better." She fumbled with her words. She wasn't ready to explain it to the boy. It was selfish, she knew that.