Plan Alcatraz || .042

Ava stood there staring at the group of hostages. They were a lot more well-mannered than the last group of hostages they had. Her eyes stopped and they rested on Arturo. He snuck in when Rio was entering the building. They narrowed when he looked at her. 

           "Where's your husband?" Arturo nosily butted in when he asked this question. Ava didn't show any emotion, but she felt a twisting in her stomach. Martin. She wondered constantly where he was and if he was okay, but she knew, most likely, that he had been tortured and then sent to a prison in some unknown county. Maybe, perhaps, he was back because they broke into the bank, but Ava wasn't certain. 

             "I killed him." Ava smirked as she said this because some of the hostages' eyes peeled open widely. It was clear that she wasn't a murderer, but she'd say whatever sounded ridiculous to play along with Arturo. 

              "You wouldn't," Arturo said, "I know you. You wouldn't have done that." He shook his head like it was the most certain he's ever been. Ava furrowed her eyebrows. He acted as if he knew them so well just because he saw them for two weeks at the Mint. It was a little hilarious, but mostly just severely annoying. 

              Ava's eyes wandered over to Berlin who was standing at the top of the stairs. His hand was pressed against his gun in his holster. He noticed her looking at him, but he didn't pull his glance off of her. Instead, they were just staring at each other until Ava finally pulled away, looking back at Arturo when he spoke again. 

              "Are you married to him now? You two had something going on at the Mint. I knew you guys would make it." Arturo rambled on. 

              Ava let out a sigh of relief when she saw Denver. He was coming to relieve her. "Thank you for saving me from him." Ava let out a small laugh when she said this, but Denver glared at Arturo with cold eyes. He wasn't in the mood to deal with him. If it was up to him, he'd have never saw him again for the rest of his life. He wouldn't let his son see him, that was for sure. 

               "Yeah," Denver huffed, stepping beside Ava. Denver and Ava hadn't spent a lot of time with each other since being in the bank, but they were close before at the Mint. Just now, they both had so many personal issues that they were dealing with that they weren't focused on anyone else. "Can I ask you a question?" He called out when Ava was walking away. Ava stopped in her tracks and turned to face him. She nodded her head. 

                 "Of course." She walked back over until she was directly in front of him. 

                 "Why'd you sleep with him?" Denver questioned. Ava was taken back. She furrowed her eyebrows. She expected the question from a lot of people, but she didn't expect Denver to even talk to her about it. 

                   "Why, Denver?" She didn't know why he cared to know the answer. Denver and the Professor had a complicated relationship. Denver, of course, acknowledged the fact that the Professor gave him a life he'd never ever achieve without his help, but Denver's father died during the first heist and really, the boy still wasn't over it. He still placed the tiniest bit of blame on the Professor. 

                   "I just want to know." He sighed. He seemed so serious. He seemed bothered. She knew he must have so many other things running through his mind and for a moment, she wondered if he slept around on Monica before. 

                     "I spent every day with him the last two and a half years." She admitted. "It was selfish, and it shouldn't have happened, but I did it because I wanted to." She brought her shoulders up in a shrug. "I just wanted to." She wished she had a better answer for everyone, but that was all she had because simply, that was the truth. Denver nodded his head slowly.