Chapter 9

The screen sprung to life, Hetal's camera was panning her bedroom and she was saying, "so, Maa, this is the final look after renovations. I put up the fairy ligh---" Raavi and Shiva barged in. Shiva punched the wall in frustration and yelled at Raavi "You f**king idiot. You motherfu---"

"Shiva, enough" said Hetal sternly as Raavi flung herself on the bed face down and started sobbing into the pillow. Shocked, Hetal sprung to sit beside Raavi, chucking the phone beside her not caring that it was facing the ceiling nor to switch off the record button, "OMG, Raavi, what happened? Shiva, did you say something to her?"

"Its not Shiva... I got suspended from school for a week," came Raavi's muffled voice from burying her face deep into the pillow.

"WHAT RAAVI, you are joking! Right before Grade 11 final exams too. Pagli, what happened?

"The Coach asked Shiva to pick up school's soccer equipment which was loaned to WhiteOaks High, and I went with him. When we got to their practice field, and I heard the team captain shit talking..."

In the present day, panicked Shiva and Raavi sprung to action. "Hetal switch that off. I didn't even know that was recorded. I mean it. This is enough," yelled Raavi, using her dupatta to foolishly try and cover the screen. As Hetal scrambled to change the video, Suman interrupted them.

"Ayy, Markundi Gaay, Hetal, Shiva, move out of the way! Ye computer main jo videos play ho rahe hain, ab sab pura khatam karke hi hum yahan se hilenge." said Suman in her most stern manner, glowering fiercely, daring anyone to cross her. Dhara, Rishita and Gaumbi nodded, agreeing with Suman.

"Please...switch it off," Raavi pleaded but her words were drowned out by her own voice from the recordings.

"...They were shit talking about Shiva and the Pandyas." Raavi's voice in the video continued, detailing the coarse words they used to demean Shiva and the Pandyas. She recollected how the Captain Nihal called Shiva names, and Pandyas beggars, low class country hicks.

"They are playing against our school in the finals, so he kept instigating Shiva. I asked him to knock it off. I-I even asked them to focus on the upcoming game. The captain was so nasty to me, he called me Shiva's little b**ch, his f**k buddy" sobbed Raavi.

"I should have killed him right then." Shiva's voice thundered fiercely.

"You did punch him in face, burnt his bag and the school equipment." cried Raavi

"What? But why did Raavi get suspended?" echoed Hetal apprehension and fear dripping from her voice.

"WhiteOaks Coach and Principal called our school, and they created a ruckus," said Raavi.

"Raavi, what the actual f**k happened?"

"I'll take this one. The principals and coaches got involved. They wanted the whole issue resolved right away so it didn't affect the finals. Matlab, they wanted a diplomatic way not to go to the League Board with harassment and violence in the school. So, this idiot Phoolkumari, here, took the blame on herself and they were more than happy to let her take the blame and sweep the whole thing aside. Nihal got away with some dumb training on treating women in school the right way, whereas this gadehdi got herself suspended for violence and damaging school property." raged Shiva's voice.

"I did it, so you don't get thrown out of the soccer team, and have this be on your record, you stupid stupid stupid ass. Main baat kar rahi thi, kya zaroorat thi marne ki?" cried Raavi, her voice breaking and hoarse from all the crying and fighting. Judging by the faint rustling in the background and Shiva exclaiming 'OW!", it was likely a good guess Raavi pushed him.